What all can you do with candles?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KattChaos

Reaction score
Okay guys, I'm going start making candles pretty soon and I want to make them pretty and unique. I was wondering if y'all could post pictures of some candles you've made to give me some inspiration & ideas. Cause right now I don't have any creative ideas for the candles besides the unique container I'm doing.

Thank you... Bunches,
Katt

You can do pillars, carved candles, molded pillar-type candles, wax melts in unique shapes. There's a ton of stuff you can do with candles/wax, but the testing is an excruciatingly long drawn out process, especially if you don't get the wicks correct the first couple of times, and it can be become really expensive.
Soapmaking IMO was much easier to learn/test and perfect, than candlemaking ever was.

Yep would agree with that. Candle making is one of those that everyone thinks is easy but the testing takes ages between wick sizes, fragrances, thermal shock testing etc and thats before you even get onto labelling!

I'm gonna do CP it's just right now I was able to get candle making stuff at prices I could afford. I should be able to get the CP stuff around December.

I can always just use them for Christmas presents. My mom wants Wax Tart things for her Scentsy thing so I plan on getting a couple of silicone Molds of different shapes for that.

While you are waiting for inspiration, I think plain candles are beautiful.

Think I learned about these fancy candles in another thread
[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5w9Dv6GT0ac[/ame]
Wow!

I love dip n carve candles. They take specialized equipment though, and special additives for the wax. I still have my vats, but it's been about 8 years since I've carved.

This is the type of carved candles I like to make the best...

picture2338zc.jpg

I love dip n carve candles. They take specialized equipment though, and special additives for the wax. I still have my vats, but it's been about 8 years since I've carved.

Wow!! Absolutely stunning!

That is so pretty. I was thinking just normal candles though. Lol
Normal candles are good for ambiance. I mostly buy unscented tapers for the dinner table and scented pillars or occasionally jar candles. If I bought carved candles I could never bear to burn them. I haven't seen those in stores before. If someone on the forum makes them, let me know!

Normal candles are good for ambiance. I mostly buy unscented tapers for the dinner table and scented pillars or occasionally jar candles. If I bought carved candles I could never bear to burn them. I haven't seen those in stores before. If someone on the forum makes them, let me know!

I used to make them.
The way I make them, is to put a plastic well down the middle, fill it with liquid paraffin, then they become 'forever" candles, that all you have to do is refill the well, and the outside never burns.
Also, with normal carved candles they are usually colored with pigments, so don't burn right anyway, so they aren't really made to be burned.

That takes a special talent. Gorgeous! (Also, Mitch Hedberg <3 )

jcandleattic your candles are absolutely lovely! I haven't seen carved candles in years.

My candles are a lot simpler, because I use plain beeswax.

The thing I adore about beeswax (aside from the delicious smell) is just how long it will stay clay-like after it's been softened, and you can literally mold it around the wick. I don't have any pictures (sorry, we burnt the last giraffe last week because we needed to use a constant flame to put an end on a wire form for a halloween costume
icon_think.gif
), but hand-formed candles are as much fun to make as clay soap is to play with.

Dipped beeswax candles are easy to make, and peppermint is a super match if you want to make scented candles for cakes (good for little kids, because the wax is non-toxic) - that's probably the easiest start, because you don't need a big pot to make little dipped candles :mrgreen:

Anyways, what a fun adventure you are on! Good luck KattChaos (and sorry about no pics)

jcandleattic your candles are absolutely lovely! I haven't seen carved candles in years.

My candles are a lot simpler, because I use plain beeswax.

Thank you.
When I used to make these light house candles, and my Christmas Tree carved candles, they would literally fly off the shelves. Most the time at shows I would have to wait until the show started to put them out on my table, otherwise the vendors would snatch them up before any customers got to see them. LOL

I really should get my vats out of my garage, and start dipping again. It's fun doing the dipping and carving, but making the core candles is a PITA.

Back