~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ October 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > Coconut Oil versus PKO

Old 10-13-2017, 03:03 AM   #11
Skatergirl46
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 323 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcandleattic View Post
It's not just in your head, I agree, and have tried making soap with just one or the other, and neither soap as as good as the soaps I make with both. My main recipe also has equal amounts of both.
I definitely agree. I really like the combination of the two. I have recently made some soap with Babassu Oil and PKO also. Itís not ready yet.

bumbleklutz Likes This 
Old 10-13-2017, 04:13 AM   #12
KristaY
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1634 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 2443

[quote=jcandleattic;667356

KristaY - I've never noticed bubbles when using the combination, and I've used both in my main recipe now since 2003. Are you stirring the oils vigorously?
I masterbatch my oils now and have for quite a few years, but even before then, I never noticed the oils bubbling.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl46 View Post
I havenít noticed any bubble issues. I use PKO a lot in my soaps. Could it be that your stick blender is introducing air into the mix?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gini View Post
This is going to seem weird, but have you tried slowly pouring the hard oils into the soft?
All good questions! My process is to measure all hard oils into my container so no stirring at this point. (hard oils are PO, CO, PKO flakes & shea butter). I put that into the microwave and melt. When I remove the container it has bubbles on the top. The temp is usually about 150F. I gently stir with a spatula, leave the spatula in the container, and pour the soft oils in down the spatula. Up to this point I've gently stirred in a circular motion about 5 turns of the container to blend the oils and balance the temp. I haven't used my SB or a whisk, just a gentle spatula. Now I wonder if my PKO flakes are the problem since no one else seems to have any issues. When I do the exact same thing without PKO, no bubbles appear. Hmmm.......

Old 10-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #13
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4560 Times on 3045 Posts
Likes Given: 3796

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaY View Post
All good questions! My process is to measure all hard oils into my container so no stirring at this point. (hard oils are PO, CO, PKO flakes & shea butter). I put that into the microwave and melt. When I remove the container it has bubbles on the top. The temp is usually about 150F. I gently stir with a spatula, leave the spatula in the container, and pour the soft oils in down the spatula. Up to this point I've gently stirred in a circular motion about 5 turns of the container to blend the oils and balance the temp. I haven't used my SB or a whisk, just a gentle spatula. Now I wonder if my PKO flakes are the problem since no one else seems to have any issues. When I do the exact same thing without PKO, no bubbles appear. Hmmm.......
I think it's the microwave action. I too get bubbles/foam (whatever it is), when I use the microwave. I don't have the issue when I do stovetop. My mix is very similar to yours, I use lard instead of PO. I thought it was the Shea butter though...you could be right on the PKO. I've not had it affect my final soap though.
People Like This 
Old 10-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #14
jcandleattic

Liked 477 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Oh okay, that makes sense now. As shunt said, it's the microwave.
I never get those bubbles unless I heat it too hot.
I only put my slushy mixture in for 30-45 seconds to melt just enough to make the soap clear. Sometimes there is still some slush to it when I take it out, but a quick steady stir clears it right up. Then I continue on with soaping.