~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ October 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Bath, Body and Aromatherapy Recipes & Tutorials > Special Request Perfume

Old 09-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
BrewerGeorge

Liked 1451 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 514

Default Special Request Perfume

My oldest daughter has asked with help making some honeysuckle perfume for her own use.

Is an FO going to be more realistic than an extract? Can somebody recommend a source for a good one?

Also, to make perfume should I just dilute the FO with perfumer's alcohol or Everclear? Include a bit of an oil to help it stick maybe? What would be a typical scent percentage?

Old 09-19-2017, 10:52 PM   #2
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 929 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Hmm. I find honeysuckle absolute (ETA: which further research suggests is a blend of natural and synthetic oils to mimic honeysuckle), but when I search essential oil all I find are fragrance oil blends. The absolute is expensive, but I bet it'd be worth it to have a clear, unmistakable honeysuckle fragrance. Or not, if it's not going to be the real deal. Doesn't look like the real deal even exists.

I use everclear to dilute for perfume. The alcohol smell evaporates in seconds, just like regular perfume. Typical dilution rate is 3-10%. Perfumer's alcohol is just grain alcohol with stuff added to make it undrinkable and mixed with some water. You can do that yourself.

Last edited by Kittish; 09-20-2017 at 01:59 AM.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11014 Times on 4997 Posts
Likes Given: 4921

If you sent me a PM with your address, BG, I'll send you a sample of Nature's Garden Honeysuckle. I've been using it in soap this summer and like it really well. It's pretty strong, so a little will go a long ways. It's this one: https://www.naturesgardencandles.com...-fragrance-oil

Old 09-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4560 Times on 3045 Posts
Likes Given: 3796

I too use the Honeysuckle from NG. I make roll-on perfume for a customer. It's really quite nice.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
BrewerGeorge

Liked 1451 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 514

Thanks for the offer, but I think we'll just trust your recommendation and order the NG.

We're going to make this tonight. Do I need to add any PS80? (That's all I have onhand.)
DeeAnna Likes This 
Old 10-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11014 Times on 4997 Posts
Likes Given: 4921

I'm assuming you're using perfumer's alcohol or something like that? If so, I'd try a small sample of FO + alcohol without PS80, give it a good shake, and see what happens.

If you see immediate separation into FO on top of alcohol or if the mixture stays mixed but milky or cloudy, then I'd add small amounts of PS80 and see if you can get it to stay mixed and water clear. Start by adding PS80 weight equal to the FO weight and work up from there. Give each test mixture some time to stabilize -- sometimes it can take some minutes to even overnight to get the final result. If you get impatient (who -- me -- impatient??? ) you can end up using more PS80 than is really necessary.

To give you some perspective, I normally have to use anywhere from 3 to 6 times the FO weight to get a stable, clear mixture, but your mileage may vary from mine.

People Like This