Bath bomb disasters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrancyPants

Reaction score
I recently started playing with a bath bomb press and for some reason my bath bombs have warts on them. They are smooth at first. But within a few minutes warts appear.
I have purchased a dehumidifier and the humidity level is between 35-40%.
I have tried less witch hazel, I let it "rest" before pressing. I don't know what to do. So frustrating.
And if it isn't that, they just won't stay together at all. Breaking in half before they even come out of the press.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4490.jpg

Too much liquid (witch hazel or other) will cause warting. Are you using any oils/butters? That's what I use and it keeps them together fine. Sometimes I spritz with alcohol or witch hazel.

Thank you for the responses. I think it is too much liquid. I am modifying tomorrow (Friday 10th). I was using shea butter and a bit of virgin coconut oil, plus the essential oil fragrance. Then I was giving it a spritz of witch hazel and letting it rest for 5 min.
Going to try mainly coconut oil (it's lighter) and no witch hazel. Also going to monkey with the dry ingredients a bit.
Does the recipe need to change for using a press rather than a mold?

In many of the FB B&B groups, I see people recommend a drier mix for a press than when you hand mold. I think I would try a liquid oil instead of the coconut . . . probably something like sunflower oil.

I tried a similar (to the sunflower) oil and a drier mix. I "dumbed" down the recipe to 5 ingredients. And added a new way to mix. I think my difficulty has been not only working with a press, but using only all natural and organic ingredients. Hand scooping would be easier. ☹️
But this experience has been an amazing learning experience for how ingredients work, and ratios of ingredients can change everything. I feel like I've gotten a year's worth of knowledge in a week.

try not use hard oils but light ones, I use apricot kernel oil or sweet almond, then witch hazel always causes the warping, spray and mix instantly if let it stay sprayed it will start to fizz, the secret is in spraying while mixing

With that much heavy moisture, you'll need to leave them in the mold for 24 hours. Otherwise you will get the warts and bumps.

Attached kitchen science - Hot Cocoa Bath bombs with cocoa butter and cocoa powder "icing"
Picture 1:
(top left) unmolded after 2 hours.
(top right) unmolded after 6 hours
(bottom left) unmolded after 12 hours

Picture 2 - unmolded after 24 hours

IMG_20170315_182739.jpg

IMG_20170308_071710_282.jpg

Last edited:
I've had my first run-in with WARTS. :cry:
The only thing about my recipe that's changed is that I've added poly 80.
It seems I can never mix the poly 80 in enough and it leaves little "wet" looking splotches on my bomb which then turn into warts!
Has this happened to anyone else? I only add in 1 TBSP of poly 80 and I've mixed and mixed until I think I can't possibly mix more and then one of the bombs from that trial had a big fat wart.. :cry:

Any suggestions?

I recently started playing with a bath bomb press and for some reason my bath bombs have warts on them. They are smooth at first. But within a few minutes warts appear.
I have purchased a dehumidifier and the humidity level is between 35-40%.
I have tried less witch hazel, I let it "rest" before pressing. I don't know what to do. So frustrating.
And if it isn't that, they just won't stay together at all. Breaking in half before they even come out of the press.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

What press are you using?

Thank you for the responses. I think it is too much liquid. I am modifying tomorrow (Friday 10th). I was using shea butter and a bit of virgin coconut oil, plus the essential oil fragrance. Then I was giving it a spritz of witch hazel and letting it rest for 5 min.
Going to try mainly coconut oil (it's lighter) and no witch hazel. Also going to monkey with the dry ingredients a bit.
Does the recipe need to change for using a press rather than a mold?

How has your testing going? The press can drive you crazy. I am more than happy to share my experimenting and results with you especially if we are using the same press, mine is the bath bomb press.

It seems when using a hand mold the margin of error is this much
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
and when using the press to get it to work your margin of error is this much
|-|

Back