Scents you are looking for

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe what lenaree was inferring was that the order totaled $143 after throwing other FOs in the cart to justify shipping. Sweet Cakes seems to always run around $20 S&H no matter how much I order. No one wants to pay a shipping fee that is almost twice the cost of item(s) being shipped. So you add other FOs that intrigue you...and end up with a $143 order because you needed one thing.

It's similar to walking into the grocery store for one item and leaving with a cart load.

Yes you are right. I must have lapsed into being dumb for 5 minutes. LOL.
It completely makes sense after reading it again.:)

I've recently got into indie perfumes, and I have about 20 sample-sized perfumes from Solstice Scents.

They have some wonderful, unusual scents. Their "Library" smells EXACTLY like a library - musty books and all. It's quite amazing.

I'm quite partial to sweet/food scents, so my favourite of theirs is called Sycamore Sugarworks. How they describe it on their website is spot-on:

Sycamore Sugarworks fragrance contains a melange of varying desserts and their components. Notes of white sugar, pear, maple, brown sugar, caramel, banana, vanilla, pecan, clove, rum, apple and pastry collide to create an incredibly sweet decadent dessert fragrance. On cold sniff, pear, caramel, banana and a touch of rum glazed spice cakes are in the foreground hovering above a base of the pure sugar, maple, caramel, brown sugar, pastry and vanilla cream puffs. After a few minutes on the skin, the fruits soften as they are smothered in the warm brown notes of caramel and maple. Sycamore Sugarworks does morph, however, its profile is consistently sweet throughout, especially after the pear and banana top notes disappear. This blend has only a minimal amount of spice that is primarily detected in the first few minutes of wear. The dry down is warm, sugary, slightly buttery with a hint of vanilla cream puffs and a faint trace of spice.

I'd love some of that for a soap batch!

I would love to find a Lionpride Old Spice dupe. It's just recently discontinued. It doesn't smell like much oob so to speak, but it smells AMAZING on my husband. I bought up some of the last deodorants I had found, but I'll be super sad when it's gone.

I would love a dupe of Lush Fresh Farmacy facial soap!! The soap itself is pretty 'meh', but I adore the scent. I've tried playing around with EO's/FO's to match the ingredient list to no avail. They do list fragrance as an ingredient, so maybe that's what's missing?

This is a bit of a tangent (apologies to the OP) and a response by PM is fine but I'm interested in knowing how you make your testers. Your scent observations are always thorough and helpful so I'd like to know what you do.

I'm about to update the Fragrance buddy review thread with the description of my process. As I wrote it, I realized that I don't do anything special. I just pour a lot of small soaps. I tried to put some observations that hopefully will help you avoid some of the mistakes I made.

An update on the Linden testers:
-I poured the new Sambucus (Elderflower) from Nurture, the French Lime Blossom from MMS, and the Linden Blossom from SC. I also made a tester with an equal mix of the MMS and Nurture FOs. The first 2 were well behaved with no discoloration. The last accelerated with slight discoloration so far.

I like the Sambucus on its own but for me the winning Linden FO is the mix with MMS. The mix comes the closest I've ever gotten to L'Occitane Linden. Not perfect but very close right now. The MMS FLB plays hide and seek and isn't quite right. I would use the Sambucus on its own but not the MMS. These testers are only a week old and they have a long way to go but at least they are promising.

The SC Linden doesn't resemble linden FOs in the soap. It is a light floral honey scent with a hint of tea.

I also tested the Gemlite Linden in the same batch. Just horrid! If anybody is looking for musty, icky, moldy scent, you got it. The 2 testers will find a new home in the garbage.

I want a "Chase" fragrance oil. Chase is one of my dogs and I love the way she smells. I don't bathe her very often because it washes away her natural odor. She is 14 years old now, still quite healthy, but won't be here forever. I don't have any idea how to describe what she smells like. She smells different from my other two dogs and doesn't get that nasty "wet dog" smell when she's been out in the rain. The only time she really smells bad is when she gets into my neighbor's pond or the other neighbor's donkey paddock. PE-YEW.

I want a "Chase" fragrance oil. Chase is one of my dogs and I love the way she smells. I don't bathe her very often because it washes away her natural odor. She is 14 years old now, still quite healthy, but won't be here forever. I don't have any idea how to describe what she smells like. She smells different from my other two dogs and doesn't get that nasty "wet dog" smell when she's been out in the rain. The only time she really smells bad is when she gets into my neighbor's pond or the other neighbor's donkey paddock. PE-YEW.

Does she smell purple? One of the dogs I look after has a purple smelling head (no, I'm not on drugs) - somewhere between artificial grape and hyacinths. I was terrified she was sick and googled purple dog smell, its a thing! I asked her owners about it and they said they hadn't smelled that before, but they told me her paws smell like corn chips. I checked, and they do!

Does she smell purple? One of the dogs I look after has a purple smelling head (no, I'm not on drugs) - somewhere between artificial grape and hyacinths. I was terrified she was sick and googled purple dog smell, its a thing! I asked her owners about it and they said they hadn't smelled that before, but they told me her paws smell like corn chips. I checked, and they do!

I thought of "synesthesia" while reading the first sentence. Sorry, I watch too much crime TV series. :p
Your nose is superb. Some dog owner might never detect any special scent.

Well shoot I should have read this thread before starting my own of sorts. I am on the hunt for a straight up bourbon or whiskey fragrance. I have this very clear scent idea for one of my favorite characters and he needs that alcohol scent. If anyone has watched Peaky Blinders I am crushing hard on Thomas Shelby ;) atm and he is my inspired scent.

Is she fluffy? If so, save her hair and get somebody to spin into yarn for you, then you could have a hat or scarf knitted from it.

That's a good idea. Unfortunately, she's a border collie mix. She's got long hair, but not long enough to spin. I'll probably just clip some of it and put it in a container like I did with Shredder's. It's been almost a tear since Shredder died, but her clipping still smells like her.

I thought of "synesthesia" while reading the first sentence. Sorry, I watch too much crime TV series. :p
Your nose is superb. Some dog owner might never detect any special scent.

I'm weird. I can tell all of my dogs apart by the way they smell. Each one has their own unique odor. But they all have paws that smell like corn chips. I read somewhere that it has to do with the bacteria on their paws and that most dogs smell like that.

Well shoot I should have read this thread before starting my own of sorts. I am on the hunt for a straight up bourbon or whiskey fragrance. I have this very clear scent idea for one of my favorite characters and he needs that alcohol scent. If anyone has watched Peaky Blinders I am crushing hard on Thomas Shelby ;) atm and he is my inspired scent.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Peaky Blinders. Red Right Hand is a great (theme) song. Peaky Blinders is well written and acted. I am obsessed with Cillian Murphy now and watched him in "Broken."

That's a good idea. Unfortunately, she's a border collie mix. She's got long hair, but not long enough to spin.

You can spin a surprising number of hair types or blend it with something else. As long as the hairs are around 1" it should be possible. On the rare occasions I spin I tend to use 2" fibers.

I just got a request for a loaf of soap scented with Egyptian Musk. This is for my dentist so you know I have to keep those wheels greased. Having lived through the 70's my interest in musk is just not there. I'm an amber kinda guy. Any suggestions gang?

You can spin a surprising number of hair types or blend it with something else. As long as the hairs are around 1" it should be possible. On the rare occasions I spin I tend to use 2" fibers.

I've got a husky that sheds another dog's worth of fur every day for a month each spring and fall. We've wondered if it was feasible to try to save it all for something like this.

1489841857861.jpg

I've got a husky that sheds another dog's worth of fur every day for a month each spring and fall. We've wondered if it was feasible to try to save it all for something like this.

Definitely possible. I know someone who got her cat groomed then made mittens out of the fur.

Back