Basic Chemical Additives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry couldn't open the link[emoji18]

From the link:
"EDTA and citrate do similar jobs, so if one does not appeal, then consider using the other. EDTA is arguably not as "crunchy" as citrate, so it is not the best choice for a "natural" soap. Both will function well to increase shelf life, but the consensus from informal discussions with other soapers is EDTA is more effective than citrate in reducing soap scum."

From the link:
"EDTA and citrate do similar jobs, so if one does not appeal, then consider using the other. EDTA is arguably not as "crunchy" as citrate, so it is not the best choice for a "natural" soap. Both will function well to increase shelf life, but the consensus from informal discussions with other soapers is EDTA is more effective than citrate in reducing soap scum."

Thanks Steve...

From the link:

Thanks Steve. Can I use both in a batch?

Not sure why you'd want to use both -- care to explain? I recommend using one or the other.

I do not think that these have a compound effect so using both would be a wasted effort not to mention expense.
I use sodium citrate just because we have a local store the sells ascorbic acid in bulk. Makes it cheap and easy for me. I do not *yet* master batch it but I probably should.
I wonder if I could dissolve the ascorbic in sodium acetate water at 50:50 and just go from there.

Sorry just thinking "out loud".:)

"...I use sodium citrate just because we have a local store the sells ascorbic acid in bulk...."

Steve -- Do you mean citric acid, rather than ascorbic acid? When reacted with NaOH, the first makes sodium citrate; the second makes sodium ascorbate.

"...I use sodium citrate just because we have a local store the sells ascorbic acid in bulk...."

Steve -- Do you mean citric acid, rather than ascorbic acid? When reacted with NaOH, the first makes sodium citrate; the second makes sodium ascorbate.

Yes. I had a bit of brain lock this morning as I was typing.
I use Citric acid. It comes in neat little cello bags all sealed and weighed.
Jan also uses it to remove stains around the kitchen sink.

Not sure why you'd want to use both -- care to explain? I recommend using one or the other.

If I use both in a batch will it extend shelf life? Just asking cos I really do not know much about chemicals. Especially in soap making. Am learning EVERYTHING from this wonderful forum

DeeAnna, If I use both in a batch will it extend shelf life? Just asking cos I really do not know much about chemicals. Especially in soap making. Am learning EVERYTHING from this wonderful forum

I recommend using one or the other. I know of no tests that show both will work better than either one.

DeeAnna, If I use both in a batch will it extend shelf life? Just asking cos I really do not know much about chemicals. Especially in soap making. Am learning EVERYTHING from this wonderful forum

Latest posts

Back