Scraps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber

Reaction score
I've been keeping all my soap scraps and trimmings and throwing them in a bag. When the bag gets full I add a little water, melt it down and squish it into a flat pancake. It makes fun little soaps for use around the house. Can you tell I hate to waste anything? :grin: And, I think they actually look kind of cool.

Scraps2.jpg

They look really cool! It reminds me of a rock or crystal or something. Very nice! Who knew scraps could look so good? :)

I truly like the "crazy quilt" effect. When you say you squish the soap bits into a pancake, I have the mental idea of using your hands, but your nicely shaped bars look like you've done something more than that. Curious minds want to know -- what did you do to get your bars to look so nice?

I truly like the "crazy quilt" effect. When you say you squish the soap bits into a pancake, I have the mental idea of using your hands, but your nicely shaped bars look like you've done something more than that. Curious minds want to know -- what did you do to get your bars to look so nice?

Thanks :grin: I sort of pat it out on a sheet of butcher's paper on a flat table until it's holding together reasonably well, then I put a second sheet over it and use a flat board to push it down smooth. After it's cooled I cut the squares, and then after they dry for a few days I plane the edges straight. Nobody cares but I just can't leave well enough alone, hehe.

I really like that look! I started saving my scraps also, and have some grand plans for various things to do with them eventually :)

That does look cool. I like it too. It must be fun to have all the different scents come out at different times. I give all of my shavings and small scraps to a friend who presses them into his shaving mug.

Many thanks, Timber, for sharing your method. I appreciate the tips.

Has anyone tried the method of making cream soap with soap scraps, liquid soap and stearic acid? I saw a video tutorial on it, but haven't tried it yet.

Back