Secret of Marseille soap cubes for washing oily hair?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aab1

Reaction score
I bought one of those huge 600 gram Marseille olive oil soap cubes at the health food store to try it.

I have very oily hair and not many soaps can wash my hair well, and soaps that work I need 2-3 wash/rinses. With the Marseille soap, I barely touch it and it cleans my hair in a single wash/rinse!

What's the secret of this soap? How can I make soap that's this effective at washing oily hair?

Thanks

IT says 72% olive oil, there are no added fragrances and quite frankly it kind of stinks or smells "old", but it's the best performing soap I ever used!

On the internet I saw this ingredient list:

Ingredients: Olive oil, washing soda, water and salt

What is "washing soda"?

It's like one of these:

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/frenchsoaps3.html

Thanks

I have no idea what washing soda is. Sounds like something they have just for their soap. I hope someone else can help you!

From a quick search it seems to be an alternative to lye, also known as sodium carbonate.

I'd be curious how well does it bubble ?

Yes, that's washing soda and you can make soap with carbonates, just it's more difficult. May take 3 days to trace.

This is just a guess, but the soap may have an excess of soda, this is why it cleans so well. Which also means that it has a higher pH.

If my guess is correct, you could obtain the same result by adding a little washing soda while rebatching your homemade soap made with a lower SF. I can't give you exact quantities, maybe you can find out through trial and error. And buy a wig or stufffed animal to use as a guinea pig so that you aren't ruining your own hair :)

Back