Really?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't find the write-ups I've read on this but I can shed some light on the packaging.

Many companies that do a lot of shipping get a break on their shipping costs by standardizing their box sizes (especially amazon). I'ts better for a shipping company like FedEx or UPS to be able to count on similarly sized items fitting in a truck or other shipping container. MUCH easier for them to pack 1000 of the same sized box than 1000 different sized containers. The cost in manpower to efficiently jam the different box sizes in a truck is costs more than just relying on a box that is oversized, but will effectively support more boxes of the same size.

I've moved my family several times by myself and I will attest to this: packing the lamp in the huge box seems like a waste of space, but really, saves time and effort over trying to fit the lamp in the UHaul by just wrapping it in packing material, or using a crazy sized box.

So that said, it does seem like they could have stuffed an envelope for your single ziplock bag. :mrgreen:

Good point about UPS truck drivers and packing, JPicasso, I hadn't thought of that. I know how hard the UPS and FedEx drivers in my area work anyway, they really work hard and long hours...

What about a soaper-diver trip to Hawaii? The soapers could visit Aline and other Hawaii soapers, the divers could dive, and all of us could enjoy the beach and whales! :)

The thing about packaging in consistent size packaging has merit, but it sometimes has been taken to an illogical extreme. UPS has gone to "dimensional packaging" rates where they charge higher rates for shipping overly light but bulky packages. I think this policy is a response to the large companies like Amazon and others (WSP?) choosing to use huge-mongous boxes to ship teeny-tiny items. This is definitely driving up shipping costs for everyone.

What about a soaper-diver trip to Hawaii? The soapers could visit Aline and other Hawaii soapers, the divers could dive, and all of us could enjoy the beach and whales! :)

I love visits! Actually I'm looking for a cat-sitter from August 4-18 if anyone is interested!
You should live in uk all it does is rain!!!!! Amazon UK does the same with the stupid packaging

I am from the UK but funny thing is I only remember the lovely cool sunny days....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back