New yarn arrived!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marilyn, that spider web lace scarf.....OMG!!! I'm so fascinated by that type of knitting, I didn't even know it existed until I saw it on Ravelry. It is crazy beautiful. Biarine, what a lovely skirt and top, that was a lot of work. Teresa T, a question that I always have wanted to ask knitters of socks......"Why?" You do all that work, and then you stuff them into shoes or boots, and no one sees them. Is it a kind of secret thing like all day you say to yourself....."No one knows what spectacular socks I'm wearing....but me!"

AND you are actually standing on the purl side, which is the bumpy side, instead of the knit side, which is the smooth side. So, until you get used to that (if you ever do) they're not comfortable. I can't speak for everyone, but I love socks. The funkier the better. A friend was knitting socks and I was fascinated by the possibility. The only thing I had ever knitted before was a baby blanket that used worsted weight yarn and #13 needles. I NEVER checked my gauge. So, I bought a book to learn to make socks, a bunch of double pointed needles in a bunch of different sizes and yarn. My first attempts were disasters and I did more unknitting (frogging in the knitting world) than actual knitting. But it was fun. That was in October, 2013. My first truly successful pair are the ones in the photo. Between the socks, I've learned to make cowls, hats, scarves, and shawls. I want to do mittens, which are socks without the heel turn and a thumb instead, and color work. I bought a Faire Isle pattern book from Knit Picks. I have an account on Ravelry and have saved a ton of projects that I want to do. I actually started making soap because of a repetitive stress injury that I've aggravated in my elbows and arms while knitting. I have cubital tunnel syndrome in both elbows (think carpal tunnel for the elbow) and tendinitis in both of them, too. I've already had surgery on my left wrist for Dequarvain's tendinitis. I don't want to do that again. I've been slowly getting back to knitting. But I don't think I'll ever be able to spend the mindless hours at a time working a project. I can only manage 30 - 40 minutes at time now. It's sad and depressing. So now I soap. It's not as satisfying because I don't get to see the actual progress of the piece, but it does allow my creative side to continue and my mad scientist side gets to come out and play. Honestly, though, if I was instantly healed and never had problems with my elbows and wrists again? I'd probably never make another batch of soap. There is something so incredibly satisfying about taking a string and two sticks and making something durable, lasting and wearable; beauty, form and function. I don't get that satisfaction level from soap. The beauty, form and function can certainly be there, but not the durability or wearability.

AND you are actually standing on the purl side, which is the bumpy side, instead of the knit side, which is the smooth side. So, until you get used to that (if you ever do) they're not comfortable. I can't speak for everyone, but I love socks. The funkier the better. A friend was knitting socks and I was fascinated by the possibility. The only thing I had ever knitted before was a baby blanket that used worsted weight yarn and #13 needles. I NEVER checked my gauge. So, I bought a book to learn to make socks, a bunch of double pointed needles in a bunch of different sizes and yarn. My first attempts were disasters and I did more unknitting (frogging in the knitting world) than actual knitting. But it was fun. That was in October, 2013. My first truly successful pair are the ones in the photo. Between the socks, I've learned to make cowls, hats, scarves, and shawls. I want to do mittens, which are socks without the heel turn and a thumb instead, and color work. I bought a Faire Isle pattern book from Knit Picks. I have an account on Ravelry and have saved a ton of projects that I want to do. I actually started making soap because of a repetitive stress injury that I've aggravated in my elbows and arms while knitting. I have cubital tunnel syndrome in both elbows (think carpal tunnel for the elbow) and tendinitis in both of them, too. I've already had surgery on my left wrist for Dequarvain's tendinitis. I don't want to do that again. I've been slowly getting back to knitting. But I don't think I'll ever be able to spend the mindless hours at a time working a project. I can only manage 30 - 40 minutes at time now. It's sad and depressing. So now I soap. It's not as satisfying because I don't get to see the actual progress of the piece, but it does allow my creative side to continue and my mad scientist side gets to come out and play. Honestly, though, if I was instantly healed and never had problems with my elbows and wrists again? I'd probably never make another batch of soap. There is something so incredibly satisfying about taking a string and two sticks and making something durable, lasting and wearable; beauty, form and function. I don't get that satisfaction level from soap. The beauty, form and function can certainly be there, but not the durability or wearability.

Physical limitations suck when you're a person who really loves to DO things, don't they? I have my own limitations, so I know where you're coming from. I'm glad you found soapmaking as a replacement for other things that are more painful, and I hope that as you continue to soap, you find yourself loving it more.

Now as for those socks.....I'm not sure you convinced me why you would do such beautiful work and then hide it away, but I know there are a lot of sock fanatics out there, so I will just accept it for the time being. :smile: Now as for knitting mittens, they are definitely NOT socks with a thumb! From what I know about socks, they (socks) are much harder, that whole heel turning thing is very intimidating. If you can knit socks, mittens will be cake for you. I started with two needle mittens, which I made for years until the advent of the internet and YouTube, where I learned to use four needles. Thank God for YouTube, every time I run into a roadblock in knitting, I run there, and there's always a tutorial that I can watch over and over again until I get it.

Right now, I am in the middle of getting ready to enjoy the next stage of my life.....retirement. That means I'm getting a lot of the grubby stuff out of the way, Things that need to be done to my house, and also trying to organize everything. I'm going through closets and drawers, and the basement and garage, and trying to get all that stuff in order, so that I can relax and enjoy the things I really love to do...like soapmaking and knitting, etc. etc. So I promised myself no fun stuff til the work is done. It's killing me, but I know how easily distracted I am, so it has to be this way. But I miss it!!!!!!! Soon. Soon. So knit away, and I will live vicariously through all of you, while I'm being good. :angel:

Marilyn, that spider web lace scarf.....OMG!!! I'm so fascinated by that type of knitting, I didn't even know it existed until I saw it on Ravelry. It is crazy beautiful. Biarine, what a lovely skirt and top, that was a lot of work. Teresa T, a question that I always have wanted to ask knitters of socks......"Why?" You do all that work, and then you stuff them into shoes or boots, and no one sees them. Is it a kind of secret thing like all day you say to yourself....."No one knows what spectacular socks I'm wearing....but me!"

Thanks navigator yes I made the top and skirt for 3 weeks

Critter, where are you located? I'm now hooked on fiber fairs. Dill, that is hilarious! Hair grease! I ever thought of it that way. Now I want to go to Whole Foods and ask for sheep hair grease!

I am in NY. About half way between NYC & Albany

Critter, where are you located? I'm now hooked on fiber fairs. Dill, that is hilarious! Hair grease! I ever thought of it that way. Now I want to go to Whole Foods and ask for sheep hair grease![/QUOTE

Glad you found it funny, The MIL finds my description of it hilarious too. If you do do that make sure you take someone with a camera to film it. hahahaha :D

... from Knit Picks. ...

A-Ha, Teresa! I thought I recognized that yarn, it's City Tweed, isn't it? Those socks are beautiful BTW.

I knit a lot of socks. I ski, and the socks I make for myself work best for skiing. No one sees them inside those ski boots!

A-Ha, Teresa! I thought I recognized that yarn, it's City Tweed, isn't it? Those socks are beautiful BTW.

I knit a lot of socks. I ski, and the socks I make for myself work best for skiing. No one sees them inside those ski boots!

YOU'RE GOOD!! City tweed indeed. It was also the first time I ever used tweed. I had to stop myself a million times from picking the fuzzies out of my pretty purple yarn!

Bummer for me. If you were close, I was going to add that fiber fair to my list of "to attend" fairs. I might still. But I don't have a truck and with my luck I'll find the perfect sheep or goat to live at my house! I'm such an impulse buyer.

There are people from all over the country that come to this thing, it's HUGE and runs 2 or 3 days. Maybe you would get lucky and the critter would actually be from a farm in like, NC.

#NotAnEnabler

Marilyn.....do I know you from Knitting Paradise?!?! :p DeeKnits here.

This is one of my lace shawls and my bike, Gertie....both close to my heart!

Tris-Rojo-3_zpsb820338a.jpg

The shawl is stunning! Love the color! Is that from a pattern or an original design?

Thanks, it's one of my favorites. I wish I could design like that...too much math for me! Dee O'Keefe is the designer. I've been one of her test knitters for a few years and am totally spoiled to her designs. You can see and/or purchase her designs on Ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/stores/dee-okeefe-designs

OMG, it's gorgeous....you knit beautifully! I have a friend I'd love to make one for. It looks maybe not quite as involved as some that I've seen. Would this pattern be considered intermediate or advanced? (She asked hopefully.)

OMG, it's gorgeous....you knit beautifully! I have a friend I'd love to make one for. It looks maybe not quite as involved as some that I've seen. Would this pattern be considered intermediate or advanced? (She asked hopefully.)

Nav....This is the Tristano and I'd consider this one advanced beginner. If you can do the basic stitches it's pretty easy, just follow the pattern a stitch at a time. I prefer to use charts but the written instructions are also included in all her patterns. One thing I love about Dee's patterns is all the help and information she includes. She assumes you're a beginner and covers everything without talking down to you...know what I mean?

Anyway....if you need any help with any of it, just PM me.

I saved her page on Ravelry (or whatever you call it) so I can go back and look at leisure. She has some amazing pieces showing one her page. I'm glad to know she does written as well as charts. I've not tackled charts yet. One of my current patterns is JUST a chart and it is 5 pages. I have no idea where to begin. It's one of Ysolda's Shawl Club patterns.

Nav....This is the Tristano and I'd consider this one advanced beginner. If you can do the basic stitches it's pretty easy, just follow the pattern a stitch at a time. I prefer to use charts but the written instructions are also included in all her patterns. One thing I love about Dee's patterns is all the help and information she includes. She assumes you're a beginner and covers everything without talking down to you...know what I mean?

Anyway....if you need any help with any of it, just PM me.

Really? Advanced beginner? That gives me hope that I may actually be able to do something like this. I haven't tried charts yet, either. I'm always intimidated by them, so it's good to know that the written instructions are included. I'd like to try using the chart, knowing that the instructions were there for back up. O.K., I'm going back to grab a couple. Still busy with all the house stuff, but looking forward to when its all done, and I have time for the fun stuff again! You'll probably be hearing from me when I do get around to it, thanks for the offer of help! :-D

Really? Advanced beginner? That gives me hope that I may actually be able to do something like this. I haven't tried charts yet, either. I'm always intimidated by them, so it's good to know that the written instructions are included. I'd like to try using the chart, knowing that the instructions were there for back up. O.K., I'm going back to grab a couple. Still busy with all the house stuff, but looking forward to when its all done, and I have time for the fun stuff again! You'll probably be hearing from me when I do get around to it, thanks for the offer of help! :-D

Nav, let's work in tandem on the same project. We can support each other and complain to each other. You pick the project you are most comfortable trying. I'm game for anything. I had to two-color brioche on a mystery shawl I did. The only brioche I knew when I started it was the kind you eat! It was a bear to learn, but I did it!! Did a whole lotta frogging, too!

So, if you are game, keep this in mind when you get settled with your house and everything you're involved it. Maybe a bunch of us soapy knitters can do it together! We could start a new forum: Soapy Knitters.

Latest posts

Back