sodium hydroxide in lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhawk85

Reaction score
I was reading the ingredient label of a bottle of lotion someone gave me and I noticed sodium hydroxide in the list. Why is this in here?

I've seen the same. But if you recall that NaOH is often used in food preparation(peeling tomatoes, boil water for bagels, pretzels, etc), it is not that far fetched to have a tiny bit at the end of an ingredient list. Probably just to bring the pH up a bit.

what Susie said, my guess is also to bring up the PH. i've seen it quite a few times too.

It's near the end of the list where the percentages are fractions of 1%. Don't worry about it. It's for pH adjustment.

Yep, a very weak lye solution can be used as a pH modifier, as well as a neutralizer for a carbomer (which is a gelling agent).

I've seen DIsodium hydroxide in lotion... but not sodium hydroxide. But I don't make lotions, so I don't know what all I'm talking about :)

I was just thinking this the other day when I was looking at the ingredients list on a bottle of a baby lotion. It was the very last ingredient on the list and now it makes sense!

Back