Honey and lanolin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

May

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am trying to formulate a new lip balm and I love the ones I've made that use honey. However, I usually only get a couple tubes to turn out nicely, and the rest separate. Would using lanolin help incorporate the honey, so that it doesn't separate? If not, do you know any other natural ingredients that could be used?
Thanks!!

Yes, lanolin will help to emulsify the honey into your lip balm, BUT... honey is water based, and the rest of the balm is oil, so you WILL NEED a preservative!

Do you have any suggestions for a natural preservative that I should use? I've heard that vitamin E can be used, but would a stronger one be needed in this case? I'm trying to make everything as natural as possible, but I don't want any mold, etc.
Thanks!!

Vitamin E is NOT a preservative, it is an antioxidant. It does NOTHING to inhibit the growth of mold, fungus, or bacteria (and all of those are "natural" by the way).

"Natural" means different things to everyone. A lot of people are very opposed to parabens, yet those occur naturally in our food.

I am sorry, I am not that familiar with what preservative would meet your needs and be right for this application. A lot of the newer ones have not been found to perform very well in challenge testing.

Since you are just starting out, it may be better for you to leave the lanolin and honey out and just make an anhydrous balm. You can stir in a little bit of stevia to suspend it in the oils for sweetener if you like.

HTH

New12soap, why not the lanolin? It's a waxy fat so it would be anhydrous as well, right? My favourite lip balm contains lanolin.

Yes, the lanolin is an oil and could be included in an anhydrous recipe, but if using it as an emulsifier for honey now you have oil + water and that = nasties unless you use preservative. Sorry for the confusion!

Lanolin is lovely in lip balm. I would not add the honey. If you are really wanting the flavor, why not some flavor oil with some stevia for sweetener?

Thank you for all the information. I am learning so much!

Latest posts

Back