SMF June Challenge Peacock Swirls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool soap everyone!!! I manage to sneak in a turkey in there. In case you haven't got your happy dose today. :p

HowieRoll, that's quite interesting about the grey looking green. I was wondering why one of my soaps that was made with a grey to represent the concrete (the mosaic soap from last year) now looks greenish rather than grey in that portion. In fact, I had been thinking that perhaps a bit of green is mixed into the formula for the mica to get that particular shade of grey and that as the soap cured the green held more strongly to influence the final color. Looking back at your picture, I can see how the green I am seeing could definitely be grey.

My votes are in. It was hard to choose only 3 from so many excellent works of art!

Thank you, Saponista, I am considering a couple of more tries this week as something to do to top off some confetti soaps I plan to make. I surely need to perfect the technique.

I have my colours
I have my recipe
I have my cardboard box mold
I have a comb......

ready to go!

Cobbsie
What FO did you use and who is the maker?
Always good to know the ones that accelerate!
I think you did pretty well - this was a tough challenge and an accelerating FO would have been a nightmare.

I think everyone's entry is fantastic, but I don't like to comment on any of them as I don't want to appear biased in any way! So please don't be offended at me being quiet.

Cobbsie
What FO did you use and who is the maker?
Always good to know the ones that accelerate!
I think you did pretty well - this was a tough challenge and an accelerating FO would have been a nightmare.

The fragrance was essential oils mixed
Fennel 15ml patchouli 5ml with about 1 'll each of rose geranium and litsea cubea. It's a gorgeous smell. I think it must have been the fennel. I ordered it from soap kitchen in the UK so bit sure who the producer is.

It's quite pretty inside so i might give it another go.

20170626_205540.jpg

The fragrance was essential oils mixed
Fennel 15ml patchouli 5ml with about 1 'll each of rose geranium and litsea cubea. It's a gorgeous smell. I think it must have been the fennel. I ordered it from soap kitchen in the UK so bit sure who the producer is.

It's quite pretty inside so i might give it another go.

Oh I am betting it was the rose geranium. Florals are infamous for being accelerators

earlene, you had such lovely things to say about everyone's entry. I agree with what you said, and taking the time to comment was such a nice thing to do. So let me say that I like how the peacock pattern shows up in the texture of your soap - it's really very interesting looking. And your colors are really pretty together. Nice job!

As a side note - black as an accent can be hard, and I too have trouble with the 'less is more' mantra. Just use about half of what you think you will need :)

Oh gosh I'm going to have to remember that...it was such a small amount compared to the main ones.....but literally as soon as I put the eo mix in it wooshed from nice manageable thin batter. I love rose geranium so might have to find a super slow recipe for it one.

It was fantastic to have a go at something more challenging...lots of learning and I am really going to have to get some decent moulds....a cutter....sonething to make the edges pretty....so many things!

A question to you UK folks out there....what on earth do you do with the increasing soap load pile!!! I was told I'm not even supposed to give it away with the 'rules over here.

Oh gosh I'm going to have to remember that...it was such a small amount compared to the main ones.....but literally as soon as I put the eo mix in it wooshed from nice manageable thin batter. I love rose geranium so might have to find a super slow recipe for it one.

It was fantastic to have a go at something more challenging...lots of learning and I am really going to have to get some decent moulds....a cutter....sonething to make the edges pretty....so many things!

A question to you UK folks out there....what on earth do you do with the increasing soap load pile!!! I was told I'm not even supposed to give it away with the 'rules over here.

You could use it for a one color soap, or probably even an in the pot swirl. Just hand stir it in and pour. Just not the best choice for something that needs more time like this peacock swirl. Or...separate your batter and color, then add the geranium EO to each part right before you pour and do layers. It will help the poured layer set up quickly to support the next. If you love it, you'll find a way to make it work.

Latest posts

Back