Shaving cream

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inodoro Pereyra

Reaction score
So, with renewed enthusiasm now that I can post real pics, I decided to give my shaving cream experiment a little whisk, and then shoot it and share...

IMG_0007.jpg

Now, you may be wondering what's so special about this cream...
Well, contrarily to what's been posted so far, it doesn't have any KOH in its recipe. It's just some scraps from my irritating peppermint soap, that's been SB'ed to death repeatedly over the last month, and added some extra water, and 5% castor oil.

The cream has not hardened at all over the last 2 weeks, and as far as consistency, lather and feel to the skin, it can compete with the best of them (but of course, I'm not really that objective... :p )

Anyways, if somebody is interested in making an easy shaving cream, try it.

WOW! I will bite! You just put a teaser out there and no way to formulate! Looks really nice! I would be interested!!!

Oh! It wasn't my intention to tease anybody... :wink:

I still haven't tried this with other recipes, but I'd bet it probably wouldn't matter. My point is that, for what I've read, the common knowledge seems to be that to make cream soap you need a mixture of lye and potassium hydroxide (KOH), but in my (short) experience, KOH is not needed.
The soap I used was normal NaOH reacted soap bar, with no other additives than the castor oil and the extra water.
Anyways, if you think the soap composition may be important, here's the recipe:

Biodiesel byproduct 25%
Coconut oil 25%
Corn oil 20%
Lard 13%
Olive oil 10%
Beef tallow 7%

Inodoro Pereyra said:
Oh! It wasn't my intention to tease anybody... :wink:

Yeah, but I might have been teasing you! Either that or too much vino...(I definitely side on the edge of too much vino!)

Anyway, I am fascinated because I have been trying to come up with something similar to what you described. You just rebatched and added more castor and water??? Wonder if a preservative is in order...

I think that you might be on to something either way!!! I think it is really lovely!

Yeah, but I might have been teasing you! Either that or too much vino...(I definitely side on the edge of too much vino!)

Hmmm, you got me!...
Have you ever tried making your own wine? It's a fascinating hobby...

Back on topic, I didn't use the rebatched soap (although I might in the future). This batch was made with shavings of the original soap, which I weighed, calculated the total fat weight and added 5% castor oil for some extra conditioning.

So far, I haven't seen anything that would make me think it'd need a preservative. But I guess time will tell...

(What the heck is biodiesel byproduct?)

Sorry.
You make biodiesel by reacting vegetable oil with methanol and lye. Once the reaction is complete, you end up with biodiesel and a byproduct which is mixture of glycerin, free fatty acids, and the lye. Basically, a poorly reacted, high glycerin soap. Many biodieselers make make soap out of just pure byproduct, and a lot of people are very happy with it, because it's a very good cleaner, and highly moisturizing, but some of us (like, for example, Knicelyr and myself) like to use the byproduct mixed with other fats, in an effort to get a better soap.

Inodoro

Great job on the cream!!!

It definitely pays off using the knowledge of the traditional soapers such as those on this forum.

Amazing... no KOH and the stuff just looks awesome!

Thanks everybody. :)
Knicelyr: you already know I completely agree with you. The concept is simple: sharing information ALWAYS leads to progress. Add to that the fact that the level of knowledge poured in this forum seems to have no end, and I'm prepared to bet the perfect soap will be created here.
It's just a matter of time...

Back on topic, I didn't use the rebatched soap (although I might in the future). This batch was made with shavings of the original soap, which I weighed, calculated the total fat weight and added 5% castor oil for some extra conditioning.

So you took a bar of soap you made previously, shredded it up, weighed it and added 5% of the weight in castor oil as a "superfat" then added water to make it creamy ? Can I ask how much water and about how much shredded bar soap ?

So you took a bar of soap you made previously, shredded it up, weighed it and added 5% of the weight in castor oil as a "superfat" then added water to make it creamy ?

I took the soap, weighed it, calculated how much of it was the total fat weight, and added 5% of THAT weight in castor oil. I didn't use 5% of the total soap weight because I read that too much castor oil could make the soap feel oily.

Can I ask how much water and about how much shredded bar soap ?

Of course you can ask. :)
Unfortunately, I can't answer... :wink: :lol:

I really don't remember how much soap I used, and as per the water, I just kept squirting "some" each time I SB'ed it.

I never really thought the cream would stay soft, and neither was that my purpose. I just wanted to have something to shave with, and trying the cream seemed like a good way to use my soap shavings (and a good excuse to use my new stick blender, which comes with a whipping attachment... 8) ).

Of course (not that it's gonna last that long... :wink: ).

I'm also planning to do a second batch, with shavings from my rebatched soap, to see if I get the same results, or if this was just a fluke.

Latest posts

Back