Perfect Loaf Mold Size?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyG

Mold Meister
Reaction score
Heya all,

Looking for some input on what people feel are the perfect dimensions for their loaf mold. Is there a certain length, width and height that is universally accepted as being the best for loaf molds?

If you have the time please share the dimensions of the one you currently use, and if different, the dimensions of your *perfect* loaf mold.

Thank you kindly for your time.

This is such a personal thing. I have tiny hands and I love tall and skinny bars. So I made a wooden mold that makes a 5 lb loaf that is 18 inches long, 2 inches wide and ~ 5 inches high (because the sides are 1 x 6 pieces). I make 5 lb batches of my favorites and have a spare chunk of wood that can block off the mold to 9 inches long / 2.5 lbs weight if I want a smaller loaf.

I think length really depends on each person's needs. Someone who sells would want a longer loaf to be able to make bigger batches. Or so I would think. I am a hobby soaper, so the 8-9" range is perfect for me. All my bars are 2.5 x 3.5 unless I use the dividers for my slab mold. I like the consistency in size for ease of packaging/labeling. Even my smaller molds (the tall & skinny you made) and my 1 lb Brambleberry mold make bars that size.

Thank you all so much for the replies.

Okay... so if I'm understanding the comments so far would it be fair to say that the length of the mold is a bigger concern? The width and height of the bars were, I believe, within a half-inch of each other.

Which also brings up another question. Would you like that much control over your mold. i.e. Being able to adjust the length, height, and width incrementally, even though it would mean more moving parts. Or do you prefer a less complicated approach in which you have multiple molds with static dimensions?

I have four molds, two quite long, one shorter (but wider), and the 1 pound loaf which is very short indeed. It sort of depends on what I'm doing as to which one I choose. I also have oval, square, round, Euro-bar, and floral silicone molds.

For my standard run of 8 to 18 bars or so, I'll choose one or two of the three longer loaves (the slightly shorter one will make wider bars, so it works out in terms of weight).

For experimentation, or for varying scent but using the same recipe, I'll use the 1 pound loaf--or pour into one of my individual bar soap molds.

Really, I prefer the flexibility of multiple molds. I can choose the shape and size(s) that will work best for the recipe I'm creating and what I ultimately want the soap for--bath bars, guest bars, etc.

I think that picking two basic sizes (ie tall and skinny, wide & short) and then a mold where you can control the length (ie the batch size and number of bars) would be a good product - not much out there like that, and I really like being able to adjust my batch size and use the same mold. The only caveat to that is that I like wooden molds, so folding the paper liner is a thing - and some people haaaaate folding liners, which is one reason why silicone is so popular.

Okay... so if I'm understanding the comments so far would it be fair to say that the length of the mold is a bigger concern? The width and height of the bars were, I believe, within a half-inch of each other.

Which also brings up another question. Would you like that much control over your mold. i.e. Being able to adjust the length, height, and width incrementally, even though it would mean more moving parts. Or do you prefer a less complicated approach in which you have multiple molds with static dimensions?

I think a mold with adjustability would be appealing to a lot of people. Storage space quickly becomes an issue for a lot of us. One mold that can offer versatility would be helpful.

I think a mold with adjustability would be appealing to a lot of people. Storage space quickly becomes an issue for a lot of us. One mold that can offer versatility would be helpful.

Agreed. A nice, adjustable length mold would be awesome (with fixed width/height, say 3.5x2.5 or so).

I'd love to be able to adjust one mold to the exact dimensions I want for any given batch of soap. I'm developing a preference for square bars, about 2.5" on a side and 3/4-1" thick. They fit my hands better. I've got one mold that I can get that with, with a specific batch size. I'd love to be able to get square bars no matter my batch size. More moving parts but a single mold seems like it would be less space-consuming than multiple molds (I think, I could be mistaken). I've got a number of single molds that I use mainly for overflow, or when I want something other than just bars.

I guess for clarification I should mention that we are currently in the process of designing new loaf mold systems. We're trying to determine the most popular static sizes, and how much flexibility/versatility users want in regards to being able to adjust length/width/height. And for those not familiar, our molds are silicone and our loaf molds have internal walls to prevent bowing.

And I guess another question I should have asked, is whether or not you like to stack your molds.

@ MorpheusPA
For my standard run of 8 to 18 bars or so, I'll choose one or two of the three longer loaves (the slightly shorter one will make wider bars, so it works out in terms of weight).
So when you are pouring your loaf molds, what would be your preference, one or multiple molds? Are multiple molds more manageable, or is it just a case of there not being molds long enough to accommodate your needs?

@ Seawolfe
I think that picking two basic sizes (ie tall and skinny, wide & short) and then a mold where you can control the length (ie the batch size and number of bars) would be a good product - not much out there like that, and I really like being able to adjust my batch size and use the same mold. The only caveat to that is that I like wooden molds, so folding the paper liner is a thing - and some people haaaaate folding liners, which is one reason why silicone is so popular.
Thanks for the great suggestion. And it's actually kind of where we're at right now... trying to determine what the *starting* dimensions should be. And as I mentioned above, our molds are silicone, so no paper folding at all. :{D>

@ dibbles
What are your thoughts on stacking molds? Are there any concerns associated with it? Does there need to be (x) amount of space between the molds for air flow, or can they sit right on top of each other?

@ Rusti
Agreed. A nice, adjustable length mold would be awesome (with fixed width/height, say 3.5x2.5 or so).
Aside from the length, how would it be if you could actually adjust the width out enough to turn it into a slab mold?

@ Kittish
I'd love to be able to adjust one mold to the exact dimensions I want for any given batch of soap. I'm developing a preference for square bars, about 2.5" on a side and 3/4-1" thick. They fit my hands better. I've got one mold that I can get that with, with a specific batch size. I'd love to be able to get square bars no matter my batch size. More moving parts but a single mold seems like it would be less space-consuming than multiple molds (I think, I could be mistaken). I've got a number of single molds that I use mainly for overflow, or when I want something other than just bars.
What do you see the smallest adjustable increment being? e.g. Do the adjustment pieces need to be in increments of 1/2" - 2" - 6"? At what point does the system jump the shark and there are just too many pieces to deal with?

Regarding stacking- lots of people like to do high, fancy tops on their soap so stacking molds might not work well for them. I don't know how difficult it would be to set up a key system so you could maybe invert an empty mold over a filled one to stack on and be sure of the stack remaining stable. I'm kind of envisioning a raised lip on one long side of the mold, and an indent that the lip will fit in on the other side, so when you flip one mold over the lip and indent line up and slot together. I don't see why you couldn't stack flat topped soaps, though, aside from potential instability issues which are pretty easy to address on the user end.

I think the smallest reasonable increments for length and height would be 1 inch, and for width 1/2 inch. It's easy to control how tall your soap is just by how much you pour into a mold, so no need for really finicky adjustments there. I think mainly, for length especially, increments of 4" might be the most useful. Basically, line up as many as you're making pounds of soap, then build your width and height where you want them.

In general, I prefer to have one mold for a batch of soap rather than using two or more (unless I'm doing shapes, in which case I'm stuck with many individual molds).

@ dibbles
What are your thoughts on stacking molds? Are there any concerns associated with it? Does there need to be (x) amount of space between the molds for air flow, or can they sit right on top of each other?

As a hobby soaper, I rarely make multiple batches at a time. I have two standard loaf molds (silicone in wood from Nurture), and an extra liner so if I want to make two batches (or a double batch) I can. From that aspect, I'm covered, and there is really no need for me to be able to stack my molds. I don't do high tops, but many people do.

Someone who sells would have entirely different needs than mine. They would want to maximize production and be able to produce larger batch sizes, or multiple batches in a day.

If you are trying to meet the needs of both sellers and hobbyists, an adjustable mold might be the right approach. That said, I think an adjustable mold would be a big selling point. If there was one mold that would make a one pound test batch (or around there), but could be sectioned off to make 2-3 pounds, and 5-6 pounds, and then possibly be stackable for those that would want that feature it might cover most of the bases. One other thing to consider is that I like my soaps to go through gel phase. I don't normally CPOP in the oven, but I do insulate my molds and put them on a heating pad to encourage gel - especially in the winter months. Moving a stack sounds like trouble waiting to happen to me. But I have to go up a flight of stairs as well. For people that CPOP in the oven, molds that are too long, or stackable probably isn't the best option.

@ Rusti
Aside from the length, how would it be if you could actually adjust the width out enough to turn it into a slab mold?

^^^ This, this, a hundred times this!!! To be able to turn a loaf mold into a slab mold would be amazing. And have 2.5 x 3.5 bars when they are cut.

@ Kittish
What do you see the smallest adjustable increment being? e.g. Do the adjustment pieces need to be in increments of 1/2" - 2" - 6"? At what point does the system jump the shark and there are just too many pieces to deal with?

I think less is more. I think figuring the increments in 1 lb. batch sizes; so the ability to make a 1 lb. batch, 2 lb. batch, 3 lb. batch, etc. Or go from 1 lb. to 2.5 lbs, 3.5 lbs, and then 4 and 5. Something like that.

I like where you are going with this JoeyG! Good ideas and thoughtful questions.

@ MorpheusPA
So when you are pouring your loaf molds, what would be your preference, one or multiple molds? Are multiple molds more manageable, or is it just a case of there not being molds long enough to accommodate your needs?

I can't say I ever thought about it. :)

Offhand, I'd say I prefer multiple molds; an 18-bar mold in silicone would be kind of unmanagable in terms of supporting it if I need to move it, or putting it in the oven to CPOP if I end up doing that.

If you gave me my dream mold, it would be around the ten-bar mold I like...but with the option to ratchet the end in to reduce the number of bars produced if I have a smaller batch. That's the reason I have the spare 1 pound mold that really only gets used for testing.

I currently have this mold and like it, but I prefer the 3" close-to-square mold a little more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083ID7CE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The basic square is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YBRTZFY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Perfect would be an adjustable end (somehow) on that square mold to move the wood and silicone back in toward the center.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to presume to give you a bit of business advice, and I hope you'll take it as good naturedly as I intend it.

You should decide whether you are pursuing mold making for hobby purposes or commercial purposes. Or at the least, separate the responses into those categories because the requirements of someone like me making 8 bars at a time are very different from someone making 40 at a time.

Lots of great responses, thank you very much.

@ Kittish
Regarding stacking- lots of people like to do high, fancy tops on their soap so stacking molds might not work well for them. I don't know how difficult it would be to set up a key system so you could maybe invert an empty mold over a filled one to stack on and be sure of the stack remaining stable. I'm kind of envisioning a raised lip on one long side of the mold, and an indent that the lip will fit in on the other side, so when you flip one mold over the lip and indent line up and slot together. I don't see why you couldn't stack flat topped soaps, though, aside from potential instability issues which are pretty easy to address on the user end.
Thank you kindly for the reminder on the high fancy tops. That was actually one of our first concerns. As for your key system, you describe almost exactly what we do with our molds. We currently use a tongue-and-groove connection system. We're still playing around with different ideas for this though. Great ideas... if you think of anything else, please let us know.

I think the smallest reasonable increments for length and height would be 1 inch, and for width 1/2 inch. It's easy to control how tall your soap is just by how much you pour into a mold, so no need for really finicky adjustments there. I think mainly, for length especially, increments of 4" might be the most useful. Basically, line up as many as you're making pounds of soap, then build your width and height where you want them.
Truly appreciate your input on this. At this point we're just trying to get a sense for how much control users want.

@ dibbles

^^^ This, this, a hundred times this!!! To be able to turn a loaf mold into a slab mold would be amazing. And have 2.5 x 3.5 bars when they are cut.
This particular mold I'm very passionate about, so one way or another there will be some type of version of it. I'm thinking an initial 'Kit' that will allow the user to make a long loaf mold, or shorter slab mold, with additional 'Parts' being available for purchase separately.

I think less is more. I think figuring the increments in 1 lb. batch sizes; so the ability to make a 1 lb. batch, 2 lb. batch, 3 lb. batch, etc. Or go from 1 lb. to 2.5 lbs, 3.5 lbs, and then 4 and 5. Something like that.
As with Kittish, thanks for your input. It helps tremendously.

@ MorpheusPA
If you gave me my dream mold, it would be around the ten-bar mold I like...but with the option to ratchet the end in to reduce the number of bars produced if I have a smaller batch. That's the reason I have the spare 1 pound mold that really only gets used for testing.
So if I'm understanding your correctly, if the second mold (wood with liner) had an adjustable end (except maybe the entire mold is silicone)... that would be ideal?

@ BrewerGeorge
I'm going to presume to give you a bit of business advice, and I hope you'll take it as good naturedly as I intend it.
Are you calling me a snowflake BrewerGeorge? LOL j/k

You should decide whether you are pursuing mold making for hobby purposes or commercial purposes. Or at the least, separate the responses into those categories because the requirements of someone like me making 8 bars at a time are very different from someone making 40 at a time.
All kidding aside, I absolutely take no offense and I completely understand why you would make this suggestion. Our approach is similar to that of soapmakingforum.com though. We make no distinction between hobbyist and commercial... as they both make soap/candles/etc. One merely makes more of it than the other. And you might be surprised to find out that many of the commercial clients we've spoken to and worked with have problems very similar to those of hobbyists. And many of these commercial clients are not huge organizations, they're just like you and I.

Our 3D molds are designed to accommodate both hobbyist and commercial sellers via what we call, a Mighty Multiplier. Which is a modular component that allows the user to increase their pour incrementally by the initial number of items in the original mold. 2 becomes 4, 4 becomes 8, etc. So at this point the user can remain a hobbyist, but has the ability to compete professionally if they so desire. We're hoping to be able to provide similar products in regards to loaf molds.

Thank you for taking the time to care enough to comment... we value all the insight that's offered.

I really really like my BB skinny molds. They comfortably hold 1400g / 3lbs. The math works out so delightfully. For example, my normal recipe is:

25% Lard - 250g
25% Tallow - 250g
25% OO - 250g
20% CO - 200g
5% Castor - 50g

290g Water
143g Lye

The mold is exactly 12" long, so if you don't want scraps left over, you can make 12 one-inch bars with no waste. I usually slice mine at around 1.25", giving me 9 bars and 2 scrap-ends.

https://www.brambleberry.com/tall-12-silicone-loaf-mold-p6073.aspx

They do bow out without support, but I've had success just hacking together foamboard and tape for a makeshift support.

Last edited:
I really really like my BB skinny molds. They comfortably hold 1400g / 3lbs. The math works out so delightfully.

Boy, the tall and skinny are very popular. We have a small one that will hold 8 oz I believe. Thinking we will probably do a few more different sizes.

They do bow out without support, but I've had success just hacking together foamboard and tape for a makeshift support.
We were having the same problem until we added wall inserts.

Thanks for your input!

Latest posts

Back