Soap workspace - advice? Must haves?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do apologize in advance, I am very tired and new to the forums and don’t know if there is a way to search in the app for keywords to see if someone already said this but if you look at area auctions then there is a good chance of finding used stainless steel sinks, prep areas with built in fridge or just plain work areas with a “shelf that sits up off the ground that you can put your own storage units into or load in boxes of bulk ingredients. I see them all the time in my area and they go for cheap and I wanted to pass it along because I’d rather see them repurposed than go to a scrap yards. If you message me your area I can try to see what I can find around you to help put you in the right direction. I did see other people mention electrical outlets and lighting and those are definitely musts!! I hope what I’ve shared is helpful...

Jade is in Queensland, Australia.

I do apologize in advance, I am very tired and new to the forums and don’t know if there is a way to search in the app for keywords to see if someone already said this but if you look at area auctions then there is a good chance of finding used stainless steel sinks, prep areas with built in fridge or just plain work areas with a “shelf that sits up off the ground that you can put your own storage units into or load in boxes of bulk ingredients. I see them all the time in my area and they go for cheap and I wanted to pass it along because I’d rather see them repurposed than go to a scrap yards. If you message me your area I can try to see what I can find around you to help put you in the right direction. I did see other people mention electrical outlets and lighting and those are definitely musts!! I hope what I’ve shared is helpful...

Thanks!! I did think when I read AKjulz saying she got her benches from a closed down gas station that I should look for some closing down sales around me when (if) it comes time to furnish my studio. My cousin is a chef so he may have some helpful contacts too.

Hello,

Just posting an update if anyone is interested ;). We ended up buying a house rather than building, and the laundry - although not as big as I would have designed for myself - is big enough, with a cupboard just outside I have claimed for all my supplies.
The bench goes about halfway along the wall, then there is a space for a washer and dryer. I am planning on putting either an elfa system or maybe the IKEA algot version in that space, with a bench and shelves.
https://www.hsw.com.au/index.php?product&id_prod=3149&id_cat=11&id_dept=239#.WxyzjhauaEc

Half the size and designed for soap, not laundry but something like that.

Does anyone have experience with the IKEA system? It felt really flimsy in store so I would be hesitant, however if it lasts about 5 years I would happily get that over the elfa (or neata).

Last edited by a moderator:
I use this system:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/flexi-storage-white-7-runner-frame_p2583962
It takes 4 rows of 13 soaps each drawer.
I had to bend the sides in a fraction so the drawers when fill (which bow a bit with the weight) don’t fall out when I slide them in and out.
You have to line the drawers with a tea towel as it is metal. I have wheels so i can move it around.

A gastronome from a kitchen supply store (or grays one line for $20) would be more sturdy but 2nd hand they usually don’t come with drawers/shelves (which are $$$) so your have to get someone to build something to replace the drawers/shelves. They are very sturdy and easy to move around.
http://www.bovalengineering.com.au/sheetmetal-products/materials-handling/gastronome-trolley/. 47C09CE2-2E16-4C5C-807D-FF6620D0A7E1.jpeg This would be my ideal!
Where to find the time to build it...

2018-10-23 17.07.32.jpg
Here is my workspace (after soaping... I've run out of gloves so can't finish cleaning up just yet!) and my storage space. We moved in a few months ago and I haven't gotten it organised yet... Thought before I started I would jump on here for advice!
The laundry (workspace) is working fairly well, I have a picture frame rail from Ikea that I think I will mount on the wall to keep certain things handy but off the bench (paper towel, gloves, pipettes). Also have a cart/trolley that I can use if I need to.

2018-10-23 17.07.47.jpg

The cupboard I am thinking of getting a 3 level shelf thing for colourants.
https://www.kmart.com.au/product/3-tier-shelf---grey/1134331

I'm pretty happy with the fragrances and essential oils in their tubs, easy to grab what I want out but they're not something I want to grab a lot of at once.
For piping accessories and other utensils, a set of drawers like this (so long as the drawers are removable).
https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop...le-storage-organiser-4-drawer-black-owdd113bk

I'm not sure about the moulds - currently they are in a giant box (except my main loaf moulds, they get their own spot on the shelf).
Oils can live in a big plastic tub on the bottom.

Any other suggestions/ideas?

I am loving my new workspace!! It's so much easier having everything in a cupboard right beside it (previously everything was upstairs and I had lug it all up and down and would usually be halfway through soaping like 'ohhhhh I wanted this colour... too late').

Thanks for posting this thread. We have a large heated shop and we’re in the process of converting a portion into a soap lab for me. It was super helpful to read the suggestions!

Latest posts

Back