First time having this problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milky

Reaction score
It's been a couple days and my soap is still soft and it zapped me! There's also a white line running all the way through the log, like whatever it is wanted to be a mica line. I used close to the same recipe as my last soap, which was a new one. I worked with the last one faster than usual and had everything warmer. It definitely jelled, which I'd never done before. I was afraid it would crack but it turned out well. This one I soaped cooler and I changed the oil amounts a little by mistake. Poured 5g too much avocado oil and a little bit extra castor, so took out a little sweet almond and rice bran to make up for it. Didn't put it in a calculator because it was so small a difference but... Maybe that's why? I'll post the recipe in a little bit.

Did you have any lard in your recipe? I have had it happen in the past when using lard, in which the lard never saponified and left a layer through the soap. Unfortunately I never figured out if it was a temperature issue but would think it was. Whatever happened I would recommend rebatching. Over-pouring an oil by a few grams is not going to hurt your soap, only increase superfat, but decreasing an oil without recalculating can cause a problem.

Yes, I did use around half lard. The recipe (including approximate amendments - Should have written it down☹) was this:

12% Sweet almond oil
6% Avocado oil
6% Castor
20% Coconut
52% Lard
4% Rice bran

(755 grams oil total)

4.5 % FO
1tsp sugar ppo

33% lye concentration
5% superfat

I've never rebatched before. I don't remember reading how to do it either, besides making confetti of it, and it's too soft to grate. Would rebatching kill the fragrance? What proportions should I use (bad soap to new ingredients)? And would this be a good opportunity to throw in old soap pieces?

I've never rebatched before. I don't remember reading how to do it either, besides making confetti of it, and it's too soft to grate.

If you search the forum for rebatch, you'll get lots and lots of results. Also, I believe Soap Queen had an article and maybe even a video. In fact, if you search YouTube for rebatch soap, I bet there's tutorials there.

Next time, especially for small amounts, pour oil into a cup first to measure then pour into your mixing pot. This avoids over/under pours.

Did you take out 4% of ricebran?
Next time use 5% castor oil but minimum 10% other oils.
You just won't notice the difference with less.

Lard takes a stupid long time to trace. So, try going to a thicker trace next time.

I would give it a few more days before rushing to rebatch.

I recently had a batch still zap at 3 days, popped it in a warm oven and it gelled. I was surprised it gelled after so much time had passed. I had soaped cool and it was taking its time to saponify.

Not sure about the white line. I've never seen that and my recipe is 50% lard.

Latest posts

Back