If you don't sell, what are you doing with all your soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mind you, I currently have five bars in the shower. One is a dragon's blood "test" that "accidentally" found its way in there. The other four are smaller ends and bits from various batches made for Christmas.

Most notably, you can make soap for local homeless shelters or shelter for abused women. They're generally happy to accept it (some may request hotel-sized bars, or only a certain number of bars at a time, but they're thrilled with it). So you can scratch the soap making itch and do something nice for somebody at the same time.

Every occasion is an occasion to give away soap. Everybody who walks in this house generally walks out with a few bars. My optician really helped me out and got a bag of the stuff.

Eventually, irregular, not up to my "standards" soap, or soap that's losing its scent gets deposited in the cafeteria at work. It usually lasts less than five minutes.

My mom, sister, and I only use my soap. I am slowly building enough reserves to include my brother in that. 1-2 2lb batches a month more than covers the amount I need. I always have extras on hand for swaps and gifting and if I need more there is enough room that I can make more.

I’m thinking of making more 1lb batches next year so I can adjust my recipe, my sister has a few complaints about my bar integrity (high OO)

I don't sell and avoid overproducing, however I always have friends who won't use anything else and we have a good relationship whereby I make soap and they do various things from which I benefit. Then there are celebrations throughout the year, birthdays etc. and oh yes Christmas is coming!

I don't sell either. Every now and then a family member or friend will offer to give a donation for my time but that's rare. Making soap is a stress release for me so I make small batches, stock up & give it away at Christmas.

Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

As soon as people hear that I make soap, they eventually start asking about it and usually are given at least one bar. I use it for barter. I once traded for 24 baby lilac bushes that I wanted for a big hedge on the property. I've traded soap for many plants over the years and other handmade items from other crafters and handmade wine :). I've never met anyone who didn't love handmade soap. I have friends who come over and ask for it with something they have made to trade for it. Once people know you have great handmade soap in excess and are looking for a home for it, it won't pile up. :)

If you want to start bartering with it, you have to start it. Give the soap away first, then suggest bartering another time and let people know what you are interested in. Talk to other people about what they do and make (everyone likes to talk about their hobbies) then suggest a fair exchange if you are interested. Even is you think you are giving more at first, at least get it started. Although the lilac exchange was her idea.

I have traded for: plants for the garden many times after seeing someone's perennial garden that needs cleaning out (I do the digging), left over indoor or outdoor paint, various handmade crafty items, yarn, use of tools, manure, eggs, berries and veggies from neighbor's garden, clothing and household items. I once traded pet portraits for two actual dogs. :) Look for a neighbor drowning in zucchini and suggest a trade just to get started, or good fruit on a tree that doesn't get picked. Keep your eyes open for opportunities to suggest a trade. I love bartering! It's a fun way of life and gives me an outlet for all the crafts that I get involved in. It has also made me a few good friends that I wouldn't have met otherwise. :) You'd be surprised how many people would love to start trading for things.

I look for occasions to give a gift. Crocheted or knitted washcloths go great with soap in a gift.

I have initiated a barter strictly online before, although soap is heavy and expensive to mail.

I work all summer, 7 days a week. I make a year's worth in the fall and early winter months so I make enough to last, several 4 lb batches of various kinds. If I need to I will make a batch in the summer, but I prefer not to.

I only sell by word of mouth. I give a lot of soap to friends and family. I have learned to make smaller batches. That way I can enjoy experimenting with design and recipe and still not be overloaded with extra soap.

I love this thread. Some great ideas! I do sell to a few select customers, those who have tried my soap and love it enough to keep coming back, asking for more. Apart from those few (2 or three, really), I like gifting soap. It's generally family and/or close friends who are the recipients. I have a few varieties I make over and over, by popular request.

Friends and family get a year's supply of soap every Christmas. Soaps I am not so proud of (wierd scents, colored lather) get pawned off on my co-workers. I have a thousand thanks to give to my amazingly generous neighbors. Two neighbors this year gave us a year's supply of firewood each (3 full cords hardwood total!). I gave measly gift baskets of soap in thanks. Not to mention the gifts we receive of fresh fish, deer meat, jam, wine etc., given without any request of reciprocation. I try to show my appreciation with soap :)

It can also go to those service individuals who are so often forgotten at Christmas. Mail persons, meter readers, delivery drivers, police officers, firemen, teachers, doctors and nurses. A gift for them at Christmas would probably be greatly appreciated. Most of them are at the least ignored, if not treated badly or yelled at. I bet the folks at the firehall would love handmade soap in the showers there. We do what we can for the rangers and conservation officers where we live up north.

It can also go to those service individuals who are so often forgotten at Christmas. Mail persons, meter readers, delivery drivers, police officers, firemen, teachers, doctors and nurses. A gift for them at Christmas would probably be greatly appreciated. Most of them are at the least ignored, if not treated badly or yelled at. I bet the folks at the firehall would love handmade soap in the showers there. We do what we can for the rangers and conservation officers where we live up north.
Good idea!

Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

Any excess I have at the end of the year (around Thanksgiving time) that I don't think I want to try and continue selling, or give away (because everyone already has so much) I take them to the local women's and homeless shelters.
I tried giving them to Red Cross, but they refused to take them because they were not "brand new, brand name, store bought" items.
I've never had a problem with the women's shelters or the homeless shelters taking them, and they are always very thankful for them. I usually take anywhere between 30-40lbs of soaps. Unfortunately that is never near enough, but it does help.

At the end of last year, I decided that I would make a soap donation once a month. I wanted to keep it in my community, and give it to several organizations. I contacted a homeless teen shelter, 2 women's shelters, and a treatment facility. I only heard back from the teen shelter, saying they didn't have a need for soap. It was very discouraging.

I have been donating soap to our county food shelf, and they are happy to have it.

Is hoarding an acceptable answer?

I do a big purge this time of year - my co-workers will each get a Christmas gift with 5-6 bars of soap, plus lotion and lip balm. I also put out a big basket on Christmas day and tell people to help themselves.

At the end of last year, I decided that I would make a soap donation once a month. I wanted to keep it in my community, and give it to several organizations. I contacted a homeless teen shelter, 2 women's shelters, and a treatment facility. I only heard back from the teen shelter, saying they didn't have a need for soap. It was very discouraging.

I have been donating soap to our county food shelf, and they are happy to have it.

I've sent an email and left a phone message for my local food bank and never heard back. I've also sent an email to a veteran's organization and never heard back. So that's discouraging!

I've sent an email and left a phone message for my local food bank and never heard back. I've also sent an email to a veteran's organization and never heard back. So that's discouraging!

I've never tried to contact the shelters before just taking them to the shelters.
I figure the administrators are busy, and don't actually know what the shelters really need, (rarely do the administrators actually work at or with the actual shelters) so if it's not money, in a significant amount, I feel they won't reply.
Taking my extras directly to the shelters themselves, I have never been turned away, and they are always thankful and appreciative.

That is discouraging. Sometimes these organizations are just not that organized and short staffed. They would probably like a donation of soap but didn't have anyone available to take phone messages or answer them. I would just take it and drop it off.

Those larger organizations often don't have the type of manpower to get the job done. I used to have a huge garden and had a space of about 20' x 20' sq and full of large potatoes that I didn't have the time to dig due to work. I called a lot of places, food bank included and shelters but, while they would have taken the potatoes, no one would dig them up. I even offered to dig them but they wouldn't pick them up either. A big disappointment. They just rotten in the ground.

Our food bank is particular about what they take. It has to be new unopened packaged or canned goods but there are soup kitchens and shelters that will happily take whatever you have.

Of course, hoarding is always good, too! :)

Latest posts

Back