Can you remelt a soy container candle

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrayPam

Reaction score
I have put a to small wick in my container candle can I temelt and start again?
Will it make a substandard candle ?

For testing, yes you can remelt and retest, however the scent might diminish slightly, but if you are only testing for wick purposes, scent won't matter.

What I normally do when I'm wick testing a candle, is make the candle without the wick. Once solid, take a slim skewer, poke a wick hole down the center, insert the wick sans tab, then heat gun the top to help keep the wick in place.

When it gets far enough down the candle (about an inch left of wax), you are going to know if that wick is the correct size or not, and then when you are making your production candles you can make sure you secure your wick.

This makes changing out wicks much easier than having to melt down the entire candle. If the wick is the wrong size, just pull it out, replace with another wick, level off with a heatgun, and continue your testing.

Excellent reply thank you I'm constantly learning I've just made a batch without testing tried one wick too small but lesson learnt the hard way ! At least I can reuse the containerit's just learning the right techniques. I'm definitely going to use your tip re wicks will not hopefully make the same mistake again

Excellent reply thank you I'm constantly learning I've just made a batch without testing tried one wick too small but lesson learnt the hard way ! At least I can reuse the containerit's just learning the right techniques. I'm definitely going to use your tip re wicks will not hopefully make the same mistake again

It took me almost a full year to get wicking down in my candles. It is definitely not an easy craft to learn, but the more you do it, the easier it gets.

when you test for wick size, do you also test for fragrance throw at the same time, or are your candles unscented?

When I test a new jar, I only test for wick.
I test unscented/uncolored first - get the wicking down in that size jar.
Once I have that wicking down, I start changing the variables, such as color, scent, additives. This way I know how the base candle burns and how the new candle should burn, and I can immediately know at at what stage of burning the wick needs to be changed, up or down, or if it needs to be changed at all. I also observe my scent throw at this stage. Making tentative notes, if no wick change is needed I then know if that scent will work in my candle. If I need to change the wick, I scrap those notes and start over with throw notes. (hopefully that makes sense)

This in the long run has saved me time, money, and effort in my testing.

Latest posts

Back