~*~ SMF January 2018 Challenge- Hidden Heart Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At November 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Business Forum > General Business Forum > Why Etsy?

Old 10-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
jcandleattic

Liked 707 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguru View Post
I found Etsy to be too large and it was difficult to stand out. I'd like to do my own website, but Shopify and other hosted e-commerce solutions are pretty expensive. I may have to check out Wordpress and the add-ons to see if it makes sense financially.
I use weebly for my website (love it, and it's customizable and has an e-commerce solution built-in if you don't already have one, but can use your own) and it's free (the one I have is, there are other more customizable types of sites from them for a small fee - I don't find I need this, as one of the templates they had fit my aesthetic perfectly!)

My domain is from godaddy for like $4 a year or something like that. Very inexpensive and very affordable. And I don't have to pay Etsy their ridiculous fees.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #12
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 974 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 995

I have a go daddy domain. but weebly wanted to charge me for a transfer. Did that happen to you?

Old 10-16-2017, 11:46 PM   #13
jcandleattic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRiseArts View Post
I have a go daddy domain. but weebly wanted to charge me for a transfer. Did that happen to you?
No, not at all. I didn't transfer my domain to weebly though. I still have my domain through godaddy, and it was just a matter of me telling godaddy what weebly's DNS was, and plug that into the appropriate area on godaddy.

If I remember right after I put in the DNS it took about 5-10 minutes for it to update and take effect.
You should be able to call godaddy and talk to them and have them help walk you through it. It's been so long now since I did it, I can't remember exactly what steps I took, but I do know it was free because I'm cheap and if I had to pay to do it, I wouldn't have done it. LOL
People Like This 
Old 10-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #14
Paintguru

Liked 116 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcandleattic View Post
I use weebly for my website (love it, and it's customizable and has an e-commerce solution built-in if you don't already have one, but can use your own) and it's free (the one I have is, there are other more customizable types of sites from them for a small fee - I don't find I need this, as one of the templates they had fit my aesthetic perfectly!)

My domain is from godaddy for like $4 a year or something like that. Very inexpensive and very affordable. And I don't have to pay Etsy their ridiculous fees.
Awesome, I'll check Weebly out. I just grabbed my domain through Google domains, so I'm sure (like you said in the following post) I'll just have that point to the Weebly page.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #15
penelopejane

Liked 2023 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 3069

Wix is another website builder with free accounts. If you do ecommerce you pay a bit but it's cheaper than weebly. Each have their advantages but it's another option for you.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #16
jcandleattic

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopejane View Post
Wix is another website builder with free accounts. If you do ecommerce you pay a bit but it's cheaper than weebly. Each have their advantages but it's another option for you.
I must have gotten grandfathered in. I have weebly, an ecommerce, and use the free account, - don't pay a dime.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #17
Kamahido
Paladin of Soap

Liked 443 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My brother used to sell on eBay. The reason he left was because every time there was an issue which required eBay mediation they would always default to the buyer.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #18
Paintguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopejane View Post
Yeah I saw them too. Very small scale now, so trying to keep costs low!

Old 10-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #19
Paintguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcandleattic View Post
I must have gotten grandfathered in. I have weebly, an ecommerce, and use the free account, - don't pay a dime.
Yeah, I think you got a killer deal! Looks like now it is a minimum of $8/month and they take a 3% chunk even before the payment provider takes their chunk.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #20
jcandleattic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguru View Post
Yeah, I think you got a killer deal! Looks like now it is a minimum of $8/month and they take a 3% chunk even before the payment provider takes their chunk.
Wow - I mean, I should have said, that yes, the ecommerce I use does take their 2.45% of every transaction, but I do not pay weebly a dime to have my ecommerce integrated into the site. Never have.

I've had weebly going on 7 or 8 years now though, so maybe that's why? I really don't know, but I'm not going to ask too many questions. LOL

People Like This