~*~ SMF January 2018 Challenge- Hidden Heart Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At November 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Business Forum > General Business Forum > Why is price so important?

Old 12-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #11
Scooter

Liked 217 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTAnton View Post
if there's a fair she's there with a bunch of goats.
Now that is just marketing brilliance. Talk about making a connection with your buyers.

People Like This 
Old 03-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #12
Neve

Liked 169 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 137

The photography industry is in total disarray because of this. The general public does in fact now demand and expect the hobbyist price and as someone who has been shooting for decades I am honestly offended by this. And trying to figure out a new career... the soap just isn't selling except to a few friends. So I don't think that's gonna save me. I have bashed my head against a wall many times over the ridiculously priced hobbyist with a day job but ultimately there's no cure for that. They won't change. In fact if questioned they defend their pricing.

The Efficacious Gentleman Likes This 
Old 06-26-2017, 09:05 PM   #13
wetshavingproducts

Liked 130 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yes! Don't cheat yourself. Don't pretend you're running a business when it's really a hobby. If you just want your F&F to cover your ingredients cost, go for it. Who cares what you do in your spare time. But you're just making a job for yourself at less than minimum wage by pricing your time too low. And then you'll never be able to hire someone else to do the stuff for you.

That said, if you're happy, who am I to burst your bubble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neve View Post
The photography industry is in total disarray because of this. The general public does in fact now demand and expect the hobbyist price and as someone who has been shooting for decades I am honestly offended by this. And trying to figure out a new career... the soap just isn't selling except to a few friends. So I don't think that's gonna save me. I have bashed my head against a wall many times over the ridiculously priced hobbyist with a day job but ultimately there's no cure for that. They won't change. In fact if questioned they defend their pricing.
Your job is to convince them that your time is worth more than "their" time. That's really it. That's your job. Taking photos is only ancillary. Heck, I'm sure you can take great photos sleepwalking. But selling is the real work.
dburg30 Likes This 
Old 06-27-2017, 03:41 AM   #14
cerelife

Liked 436 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 313

Great advice from TEG!
When I first decided to create a business I signed on with a local accounting firm to help me do things the right way and to keep me straight with sales taxes/tax ID's for the two states where I sell in person. They gave me a pretty much identical pricing model as the one TEG provided.
While my business is not my sole source of income; I have no wish to undercut anyone else's prices. I created my business because I love making my products; I'm very proud of them; and I want to share them with others! Making a profit is pretty far down on my list of reasons, but that doesn't give me the right to do as I please with my pricing if it's going to hurt someone else's business, so for the most part I follow this pricing model and I never price my soaps for less than other reputable soapmakers in the areas in which I sell.
However, I make products that I personally would want to purchase and sometimes that would mean exceeding the current market price for soap (and ONLY soap) due to expensive ingredients/FO's by using this model. In this case, I don't inflate to price of that soap to reflect this pricing model - I just charge the same and choose to make less profit.