de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you CIA? oh wait, soapy intelligence? what is that? ;)

Nope. Secret Service. I give one of my coworkers soap to test for me.

I'm in Nashville today and tomorrow helping with some administrative issues that haven't been addressed since I came here in 2001 and took care of them. In typical government fashion, people are afraid to destroy things. There are files for vehicles that were sold at auction 10 years ago. (Only a slight exaggeration!) What a mess!! I'm exhausted and have a headache. It's only 5:30 here, but I'm ready to fall asleep.

Harlem Renaissance was her time in the lime light. She was a well known writer. Still, my absolute favorite quote is this: "I prefer not to." Put that on a shirt and those who get it may have a chuckle.

I say that a lot; but not for "that" reason. I actually had to look it up, because I didn't get it. I thought, "What's so funny about that?" Because, I say it a lot. And do what ever it is that "I prefer not to" do. Specifically, my former boss used to say, "do you want to..." when she wanted me to do something (instead of saying, do this). So, I'd say, "I prefer not to." To which she'd promptly reply, "too bad." And I'd say, "why'd you ask?" I miss her. She was fun.

Nope. Secret Service. I give one of my coworkers soap to test for me.

I'm in Nashville today and tomorrow helping with some administrative issues that haven't been addressed since I came here in 2001 and took care of them. In typical government fashion, people are afraid to destroy things. There are files for vehicles that were sold at auction 10 years ago. (Only a slight exaggeration!) What a mess!! I'm exhausted and have a headache. It's only 5:30 here, but I'm ready to fall asleep.
i totally can't tell if you are serious or just kidding me. i don't know if a SS person would tell you if they are one. i guess i should say something pit related to not totally hijack your thread. uh, that babassu sounds awesome especially if it smells a little florally. it's on my very long list of oils & butters i'd like to try some day.

I say that a lot; but not for "that" reason. I actually had to look it up, because I didn't get it. I thought, "What's so funny about that?" Because, I say it a lot. And do what ever it is that "I prefer not to" do. Specifically, my former boss used to say, "do you want to..." when she wanted me to do something (instead of saying, do this). So, I'd say, "I prefer not to." To which she'd promptly reply, "too bad." And I'd say, "why'd you ask?" I miss her. She was fun.

It's an English major thing. Kind of like how it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to NOT read Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart between high school and college here (I've read that book 4 or 5 bleeding times).

Getting back on track, is the Babassu still leaving the funk de-funked?

i totally can't tell if you are serious or just kidding me. i don't know if a SS person would tell you if they are one. i guess i should say something pit related to not totally hijack your thread. uh, that babassu sounds awesome especially if it smells a little florally. it's on my very long list of oils & butters i'd like to try some day.

No, an SS person would NOT tell you if they were one. There is no statute of limitations on war crimes and the Schutzstaffel were the ones in charge of the concentration camps. They were Hitler's most brutal henchmen. Most would say they were just following orders; however, many of them actually liked their jobs.

We prefer "USSS" or "Secret Service" to ensure there is no mistaking us for Schutzstaffel. As a matter of fact, Former President George H.W. Bush (the first Pres Bush) quit the NRA over a comment made about federal agents being "jack booted thugs" after the Murrah Bldg in Oklahoma City was blown up. (http://jacksonville.com/reason/fact...rge-hw-bush-left-nra-over-jack-booted-remarks). If you recall, the Murrah bldg was bombed on the anniversary of the Waco, TX, raid. I had been living in Dallas during that time period (assigned there 1992-1997).

Anyway, yes, I make a lot of jokes and sarcastic remarks. But the "Secret Service" one isn't one of them. I've been a government drone since 1989. Here's my life story. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=60274

Babassu oil doesn't smell florally. It doesn't have any odor that I can detect. That's what's nice about it. And it's still working really well. Today I've got some lemongrass essential oil mixed in with it. (I think I put a little too much EO in there, though. It stung a little when I put it on.) Any way, no odor and still smells like lemongrass. So it's definitely a win right there.

It's an English major thing. Kind of like how it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to NOT read Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart between high school and college here (I've read that book 4 or 5 bleeding times).

Getting back on track, is the Babassu still leaving the funk de-funked?

Yep. Working great. I added lemongrass EO (a bit too much because it stung when I put it on) and there's no odor. I still smell like lemongrass. Way better than smelling like funk!

No, an SS person would NOT tell you if they were one. There is no statute of limitations on war crimes and the Schutzstaffel were the ones in charge of the concentration camps. They were Hitler's most brutal henchmen. Most would say they were just following orders; however, many of them actually liked their jobs.

We prefer "USSS" or "Secret Service" to ensure there is no mistaking us for Schutzstaffel. As a matter of fact, Former President George H.W. Bush (the first Pres Bush) quit the NRA over a comment made about federal agents being "jack booted thugs" after the Murrah Bldg in Oklahoma City was blown up. (http://jacksonville.com/reason/fact...rge-hw-bush-left-nra-over-jack-booted-remarks). If you recall, the Murrah bldg was bombed on the anniversary of the Waco, TX, raid. I had been living in Dallas during that time period (assigned there 1992-1997).

Anyway, yes, I make a lot of jokes and sarcastic remarks. But the "Secret Service" one isn't one of them. I've been a government drone since 1989. Here's my life story. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=60274

Babassu oil doesn't smell florally. It doesn't have any odor that I can detect. That's what's nice about it. And it's still working really well. Today I've got some lemongrass essential oil mixed in with it. (I think I put a little too much EO in there, though. It stung a little when I put it on.) Any way, no odor and still smells like lemongrass. So it's definitely a win right there.
whoops! i'll definitely keep my abbreviations straight on that. USSS it is then. that's a pretty wild job you have. i'm off to read your story.

now why did i think someone said babassu had a slight floral scent? oh well. glad it's all working. lemongrass is so nice and makes me want that thai soup with lemongrass in it.

I have not used any type of underarm anything for three years. Your body gets used to it and doesn't produce the smell. You are suppose to sweat to cool your body off. Strictly soap to shower with and I don't stink:) or at least everyone tells me I smell good. Ha Ha

Not everyone's body chemistry is the same. Not everyone has the same bacteria living on their skin (although most of them should be the same). Not everyone lives up north. We have 80+ degree Fahrenheit days in January. January. So, while I understand those are your results, please understand that other's results could be wildly different.

Batch #1 of pit lotion is in the books. Even if it's not an effective deodorant it still smells and feels nice . . . used orange, patchouli & clove combo.

1470522901116.jpg

Theresa, I just wanted to let you know that for the past 3 days I have been rubbing a little bit of babassu oil on my pits just after showering and right before I apply my usual deodorant (a 'natural'-type from the health-food store). Before I go on, I need to make the qualification that it's been an extraordinarily hot summer here which has been very taxing on the effectiveness of said deodorant. It's gotten to the point that I have to re-apply it a few extra times throughout the day to keep my pits smelling pretty.

Well...... for the past 3 days of applying babassu before applying the deodorant, I have not had to reapply the deodorant at all, even though on top of the heat it's also been very humid here the last 3 days, which has caused a fair bit of sweating.

Oh, and it has not stained my shirts (so far). It easily absorbs right into my skin just like you yourself experienced. Color me impressed!

IrishLass :)

Oh my gosh! How did I not see this until just now? This is awesome news!! Are you still using the babassu oil? Did you ever get any stains on your shirts with the oil?

I am happy to report that I have still not used any deodorant since I first started the "experiment" on 07/25. It has been 15 days and I'm still comfortable in public (even in a sleeveless blouse). One of the nicest things I've noticed about using the babassu oil vs commercial antiperspirant is the condition of my skin has improved. I no longer have red bumps under my arms. (I think that was irritation from the antiperspirant plugging my sweat glands and hair follicles.) My skin is smoother feeling and there is significantly less odor and sweating at the end of the day. In fact, right now, I still smell a little bit of the lemongrass essential oil that I've used in the babassu oil. I put the "deodorant" on this morning at 8:00 or so. It's nearly 9:00 PM now.

I think I'll melt some babassu and add clove essential oil to it. I'll switch to the clove tomorrow and compare that to plain babassu for a few days, then compare it to the lemongrass babassu for a few days. I'll definitely have to use a dropper for the clove eo. I don't want to over do that one and get a chemical burn. I put a bit too much lemongrass in the babassu oil and stung my pits the first couple of times using it.

Teresa may I ask where you’re getting your Babassu oil from? I would like to give it a try but it seems to be a bit hit or miss, I have found it on some vendors but there seems to be some liquid and some as a solid? Any advice would be appreciated.

I gave up commercial deodorant a little over a year ago and have since been using a powder of sorts made of arrowroot and baking soda mixed with Bergamot, TeaTree and Patchouli EOs. I went to a brand called “Bobs Red Mill” for both the arrowroot and baking soda. The arrowroot is super smooth and soft and the baking soda is much finer than that found in the grocery store, overall makes for a nice body powder. Would like to see what the addition of the Babassu would do.

First time here in a while and what is the first thread I latch onto? What a hoot to read!! I used Tom's tea tree oil deodorant for years (I'm allergic to every "regular" store-bought one) but it became too hard to get, as we are so far from a health food store. So for the last year I have used baking soda. Period. It works well enough for me, but if I forget it early and my pits get wet first, then it irritates. Wish I'd seen this before I made my WSP order this morning. I would have ordered some babassu. TFS ya'll.

Teresa may I ask where you’re getting your Babassu oil from? I would like to give it a try but it seems to be a bit hit or miss, I have found it on some vendors but there seems to be some liquid and some as a solid? Any advice would be appreciated.

I gave up commercial deodorant a little over a year ago and have since been using a powder of sorts made of arrowroot and baking soda mixed with Bergamot, TeaTree and Patchouli EOs. I went to a brand called “Bobs Red Mill” for both the arrowroot and baking soda. The arrowroot is super smooth and soft and the baking soda is much finer than that found in the grocery store, overall makes for a nice body powder. Would like to see what the addition of the Babassu would do.

Thanks for the tip on the Bob's Red Mill. I've used that brand for flour, oats and other things, but didn't think about arrowroot and baking soda. Good to know. As far as the babassu oil is concerned, I bought a pound from Misty Magic Supplies. It's a Facebook pre-buy group. I only bought 16 oz to try out. I like her supply group for oils because I can get anywhere from 2 oz to 16 oz to test out an oil and not have to worry about wasting a large amount if I don't like it. I've purchased hemp, babassu, emu, cherry kernel and a bunch of other oils from her. I'm not sure if they're less expensive than other retailers, but it's convenient. And that's all I'm interested in right now: conveniently trying new stuff at a fairly reasonable price.

Babassu is actually a solid oil. It has a melting point of 76 degrees (just like coconut oil). I've got mine in the refrigerator right now. There is only about 3 oz left. I've just ordered 7 lbs from Soaper's Choice and it should arrive early next week. I'll leave it in the garage or on the shelves in the kitchen until it's completely liquid so I can divide into jars then put it into the refrigerator. (Soaper's Choice is in a one gal jug.) I think, on average in spite of the shipping charges, Soaper's Choice has the best prices for oils. (But I haven't done a whole lot of heavy comparisons for "fancy" oils. There might be less expensive babassu, but I needed other things and added it to my list.)

ETA: I just noticed you're "just outside Nashville." What town? PM me if you don't want to make that public.

Last edited:
First time here in a while and what is the first thread I latch onto? What a hoot to read!! I used Tom's tea tree oil deodorant for years (I'm allergic to every "regular" store-bought one) but it became too hard to get, as we are so far from a health food store. So for the last year I have used baking soda. Period. It works well enough for me, but if I forget it early and my pits get wet first, then it irritates. Wish I'd seen this before I made my WSP order this morning. I would have ordered some babassu. TFS ya'll.

Glad to entertain you. I just ordered seven pounds of babassu. PM me your address and I'll send you a few ounces to try out once it arrives. It can tide you over until you make your next order. And, if it doesn't work for you, you haven't wasted any money.

Oh my gosh! How did I not see this until just now? This is awesome news!! Are you still using the babassu oil? Did you ever get any stains on your shirts with the oil?

:lol:

Yes- I'm still using the babassu, and yes- it's still working for me. And no- it has not caused any stains on my shirts! :)

I filled up a tiny cosmetic jar with babassu and I've been keeping it in my bathroom to use after showering. The jar probably only holds about a couple of teaspoons worth of anything, and it has lasted me through at least 5 days so far (not much is needed per application). The rest of my babassu is kept in the fridge as is normal with me.

Anyway, I haven't used it on its own yet. Basically, I shower, dry off, apply the babassu, then I apply my regular natural deodorant (from the health food store). Normally, the deodorant from the health food store works on me only if I apply it a few times throughout the day, especially in this hot, humid weather we are experiencing at present. But since I've been applying the babassu after I take a shower, I have not needed to apply any extra swipes of the deodorant throughout the day, and the stinklessness has even lasted through the night and into the following morning, which I think is pretty darn awesome!

:lol:

Yes- I'm still using the babassu, and yes- it's still working for me. And no- it has not caused any stains on my shirts! :)

I filled up a tiny cosmetic jar with babassu and I've been keeping it in my bathroom to use after showering. The jar probably only holds about a couple of teaspoons worth of anything, and it has lasted me through at least 5 days so far (not much is needed per application). The rest of my babassu is kept in the fridge as is normal with me.

Anyway, I haven't used it on its own yet. Basically, I shower, dry off, apply the babassu, then I apply my regular natural deodorant (from the health food store). Normally, the deodorant from the health food store works on me only if I apply it a few times throughout the day, especially in this hot, humid weather we are experiencing at present. But since I've been applying the babassu after I take a shower, I have not needed to apply any extra swipes of the deodorant throughout the day, and the stinklessness has even lasted through the night and into the following morning, which I think is pretty darn awesome!

WAHOO!! This is awesome!!!

I think we're onto something here. I just ordered a dozen deodorant tubes. I'm going to make up some deodorant sticks to see if I can get a few friends to try it out. I've got one GF that has already used the pit detox and uses a deodorant stone, so I think she'll be willing to try the babassu and essential oils. I think I'm going to experiment this weekend with a little beeswax for stability and arrowroot powder for less greasiness. Although, honestly, I don't think it's very greasy at all. It seems to absorb into the skin very well and last all day.

I'm looking for powder bottles/jars with the shaker lids so I can make my own powder. I actually found a company that sells them, but was having an issue checking out. They have a paypal option, but I wasn't able to use it. When I put my credit card info in there, it rejected it because my address was wrong. (Uh, I think I know where I live...) But that was using my phone and mobile sites are sometime a bit wonky when it comes to ordering online. I'll try again later from the computer. I just have to try to remember what company it was. :confused:

that's so cool that it's working. are you going to try one of the pit detoxes too? they really seem to work. who knew? :)

I'm looking for powder bottles/jars with the shaker lids so I can make my own powder.
i've heard people use empty spice jars or salt & pepper shakers. i used a cheese shaker for my dry dog shampoo and a former stevia powder container for my own powder. i'm going to use my nice glass spice containers when i use up some of my spices to replace the plastics.

Back