Please help scale issue...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleginger73

Reaction score
I bought a sharper Image digital scale but I get it home and it does 1/8 ounce 1 gram weight increments... My dalema is what if the recipe calls for 2.6 ounce? Example.... It's showing me 2 1/4 ounces.... 2 1/2 2 7/8 etc....How would I know what is 2.6? Do I need to get another scale?

Take a deep breath, it's okay!

First of all, you should always put any and every recipe through a good lye calculator. I like http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp you can enter your recipe in percents, ounces, pounds, or grams.

After you have entered your recipe, click the "calculate recipe" tab at the bottom, then click "view or print recipe". The page will pop up in another window, go to that one. Everything will be listed in both ounces and grams. Change the setting on your scale to grams and use that. Much more accurate and much easier than guessing at 2.6 ounces!

You will get used it, I still think of my batches as being "So-Many-Pounds" but I always always always measure in grams.

HTH

Take a deep breath, it's okay!

First of all, you should always put any and every recipe through a good lye calculator. I like http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp you can enter your recipe in percents, ounces, pounds, or grams.

After you have entered your recipe, click the "calculate recipe" tab at the bottom, then click "view or print recipe". The page will pop up in another window, go to that one. Everything will be listed in both ounces and grams. Change the setting on your scale to grams and use that. Much more accurate and much easier than guessing at 2.6 ounces!

You will get used it, I still think of my batches as being "So-Many-Pounds" but I always always always measure in grams.

HTH

I too measure in grams. Its the most accurate way to measure. And if you go over by a gram or so it's not as big of a deal as ounces. I have actually been using a weight watchers scale for the last 3 years. It does ounces or gram so it works just fine for me. I do want to get a new one for Christmas. KD7000 or 8000 is on my wish list.

I too measure in grams. Its the most accurate way to measure. And if you go over by a gram or so it's not as big of a deal as ounces. I have actually been using a weight watchers scale for the last 3 years. It does ounces or gram so it works just fine for me. I do want to get a new one for Christmas. KD7000 or 8000 is on my wish list.

I just got the KD8000 to replace one my old scale that that had a bit of a mishap. It's super nice!

when the grams are in decimals, the basic rule is to round UP with oils, round DOWN with lye.

Just as an example:

137.43g olive oil
44.96g coconut oil

24.5g lye

you would use:

138g OO
45g CO

24g lye

Thanks! I found one at target that does .1 oz increments.. I'll take the other one back and get that one. I just want it to be easy for me to read and use.

1/10 of one ounce is still about 2.8 grams, grams are more accurate :)

Latest posts

Back