Not sure what happened..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyQueenBee

Reaction score
Yesterday, I made two batches of my basic(very old, well-tested) recipe. To one, I added some rose hip oil, and an FO that id only ever used in M&P, and I had all sorts of issues, from riding to partial solidification. After smoothing it out again, I moved it into my mold rather quickly and hoped for the best overnight. Today, when I unmolded, that loaf was insanely oily, but firm.
I both SB'd and stirred, smoothing it, and I reached true trace, so I know the oils all incorporated fully. I've never seen an oil completely separate from a loaf, hours after molding. Is there a trick to using rose hip oil that I've overlooked, or did I just have an unlucky day? Opinions are appreciated, as always!
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1410134406.335231.jpg

I have had that happen with a particularly difficult fragrance that riced and then it over heated to boot. When I unmolded it was a greasy mess. I ended up rebatching it. If it's not a lot of oils you can wait to see if they reabsorb. I've not used rosehip oil so can't speak to that.

It may be the fragrance oil. I agree with Shunt2011, let the soap set and see if the oil isn't reabsorbed.

I agree, it's probably the fragrance oil. I can't tell from the picture, but it appears firm and solid in consistency. If it's just a bit slick to the touch on the surface, let it sit. If there are little oozy pockets, then I'd rebatch.

It's firm, like my batches usually tend to be, it's just really oily on the surface. No pockets, though there are a few really thin veins throughout... it makes a pretty marbling effect, anyway lol. :)

How long should I wait before considering a rebatch? I've been thinking a week, is that too long?

The bars look far less oily, today, so I'm hopeful again. They smell wonderful, which is saying something, as I usually don't care for rose fragrances. :) I'm going to wait to zap test them, until Friday, to make sure all the moisture really is gone.
Quite the first experience with this issue! Thank you all for the replies.

Latest posts

Back