Does anyone on here sell soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenmarie82

Reaction score
I've gotten a few comments about being careful with selling soap...like being sued, causing skin rashes etc. I'm not selling that much soap so i wouldn't need a business license yet right? And as far as paying taxes i wouldn't have to start that until i make over a certain amount.
As far as liability insurance in the US, does anyone know anything about that? What sort of disclaimer do I need? How should i label the ingredients?
I want to sell soap but i'm so discouraged now because of all the downsides to it. I know they exist and i need to look out for them but i also don't want it to get me down. I just want to protect myself and have fun selling at the same time.

You will have to check w/ your local governemnt. I am in TX, & in TX you must pay taxes & when you sell your first bar.

Did you read the links to the FDA website on labeling I gave you?

Here it is again: This is where I would start.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms
Is It a Cosmetic, a Drug, or Both?
(or Is It Soap?)

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-lab1.html
Summary of Regulatory Requirements for Labeling of Cosmetics Marketed in the United States.

Cosmetic Labeling Regulations as Published in Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Sections 701, 740 and Other Pertinent Sections.

Cosmetic Labeling Guide.

in NJ you can't sell a single bar without a license and collecting (and paying) sales taxes.

you won't necessarily need to pay INCOME tax on what you take in until you make a profit, but sales tax is another animal altogether.

Definitely check with your State & County governments. In Nebraska, you have to collect sales tax on everything & anything you sell - period!! You also have to register as a business to sell anything. By filing a business name as an LLC or Incorporating, you are also protecting your personal property & finances. It really doesn't cost that much when you consider what you could lose without it & the fines you might incur if you fail to do it.

Disclaimors won't stop someone from filing suit against you if that's what they have a mind to do.

Back