Soap Labeling example

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouke285

Reaction score
Hi, I pulled this product description from Etsy.com as an example.

This bar is made with soothing cucumber and Aloe Vera from my garden. The scent is my very own custom blended cucumber aloe fragrance. This soap consistently remains a top seller year after year.

Aloe Vera is good for the skin, not only does it relieve burns and speed healing, but there is also evidence that it helps prevent sun damage. I have made this one with fresh goat milk soap, because of its high lactic acid; it is nature’s perfect moisturizer.

Is this in concordance with FDA laws? To list the health benefits of an ingredient in your soap, while not claiming the soap itself will offer these benefits?

I know that US regulations forbid saying that soap does anything but clean. And we ALL know retailers who make fantastic claims for their soap.

What I've not heard of is someone getting taken down for making claims of other than cleansing for soap. Does anyone have a link or tale to tell about it?

I have a separate page that I'm going to post with the benefits of different oils but I don't put any claims on my products page or in my descriptions. Might be stretching it a bit but don't think it will cause any issue. I will have all oils even those I don't utilize on a regular basis listed. However, no claims on milks or other additives.

that is what i usually do, that is i talk about the benefits of what's inside the soap: the oils, additives, whatever. i don't make claims that my products will cure this and that though.

Back