This may not matter but I thought I would ask

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuska

Reaction score
I'm going to try making a 100% lard bar 0% SP for the purpose of laundry powder and I'm wondering what lye concentration should I use? I typically soap at 33%. Also how long do you let your bars cure before hand.

I'm using the 1 bar to 1/2 cup borax and 1/2 washing soda.

Cheers,
Ken

Have you tried the no-shred laundry recipe? I just made it for the first time. So far it has worked really well (using vinegar in my rinse thing because I have hard water). I used to make coconut bars and shred them for laundry soap powder but this other method is so much easier. It also incorporates borax and washing soda.

When I shred my coconut bars, I didn't wait that long to use them. Maybe a week but they got super hard in an hour or two. Coconut does that though, haven't soaped with lard and I don't know how it behaves.

tasha said:
Have you tried the no-shred laundry recipe? I just made it for the first time. So far it has worked really well (using vinegar in my rinse thing because I have hard water). I used to make coconut bars and shred them for laundry soap powder but this other method is so much easier. It also incorporates borax and washing soda.

Thanks Tasha, can you point me in the direction of this recipe?

33% is fine, if you grate up while fairly soft it'll be easier.
100% lard soap tends to take forever to trace - you will likely get a false trace at first, actually, so be patient.

carebear said:
33% is fine, if you grate up while fairly soft it'll be easier.
100% lard soap tends to take forever to trace - you will likely get a false trace at first, actually, so be patient.

Yeah I have never soaped with Lard. It appears Coconut may be better for less suds? At least it has less lather then Lard.

-Ken

carebear said:
coconut, in my experience, has more lather than lard.

SoapCalc.... lol

Any idea where this shreadless laundry soap recipe is located?

I would do 33 as well- it hardens fast. It's fabulous for whites.
I'm with Carebear- Lard is low lather- Coconut high lather.

Back