Too high SF%

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure&simple

Reaction score
Do soaps, made with dairy liquid, animal fat and high SF%, have higher chances of turning rancid?

pure&simple said:
Do soaps, made with dairy liquid, animal fat and high SF%, have higher chances of turning rancid?

Good question. I have one salt bar from almost a year ago in which I used heavy cream for half the liquid. It still seems fine but maybe the combination of lye and salt kept it preserved in a way. I haven't noticed any rancidity in any of the soaps in which I used cream or buttermilk and some of them are 8-9 months old.

It will be interesting to hear what other people say about rancidity.

eta: I do use a lower SF when I use cream or any other dairy product.

Well, I have attempted cream soap few times (20 to 100% cream), and always got a distinctive cheesy smell, which some people find awful. Seems to set in during the first weeks of cure.

Is that rancid ?

I am puzzled by the fact that different fats have different rancid smells.

Dr Dunn (Caveman Chemist) has presented and published in his book some research on DOS. He has shown that the level of superfat doesn't change the likelihood of DOS, only the selection of oils.
I seem to remember that superfat level increases the "intensity" of DOS.

Which still leaves half of the question open - about animal fats and DOS :)

Hazel said:
pure&simple said:

Good question. I have one salt bar from almost a year ago in which I used heavy cream for half the liquid. It still seems fine but maybe the combination of lye and salt kept it preserved in a way. I haven't noticed any rancidity in any of the soaps in which I used cream or buttermilk and some of them are 8-9 months old.

It will be interesting to hear what other people say about rancidity.

eta: I do use a lower SF when I use cream or any other dairy product.
Dr Dunn (Caveman Chemist) has presented and published in his book some research on DOS. He has shown that the level of superfat doesn't change the likelihood of DOS, only the selection of oils.

Fragola said:
Well, I have attempted cream soap few times (20 to 100% cream), and always got a distinctive cheesy smell, which some people find awful. Seems to set in during the first weeks of cure.

Is that rancid ?

No, that's just the natural scent of the butyric acid coming through from the bovine cream. Some people are more sensitive to the smell than others. That's why I like to soap with coconut milk or goat milk instead.

As for animal fats such as lard and tallow- they are pretty darn stable and DOS-resistant due to their saturated fatty acid makeup. I've superfatted with tallow at 15% and all is well to date.

IrishLass :)

Maythorn said:
What are you consdiering to be a high superfat?

Well, I have some tallow and whey to use up, so I was thinking about doing a batch of 30% CO, Tallow and Lard; 10% Castor at 8% SF with whey. That's my normal SF, no matter what my oil compositions is (except 100% CO), but I haven't used so much animal fat yet.

Funny about DOS. I've been making soaps now for about a year now and I've never had problems with DOS (knock on wood). Even with a 10% grapeseed in my recipes. All my soaps are kept in a room where the heating system is, so the room is always very warm and dry. I wonder if that has helped in preventing DOS?

Should be a very bubbly bar. :) I wondered about doing 7% with goat, coconut or buttermilk but so far, so good. Would you use all milk for the liquid? I've only had DOS occur from sunflower oil. I use soybean now in a small amount to save money on olive and I hope it never DOS's on me.

Maythorn said:
Should be a very bubbly bar. :) I wondered about doing 7% with goat, coconut or buttermilk but so far, so good. Would you use all milk for the liquid? I've only had DOS occur from sunflower oil. I use soybean now in a small amount to save money on olive and I hope it never DOS's on me.

I use 100% milk, or if you use milk powder that gives you a little more room to play (you can add all the powder to half your water, and add the lye to the other half... that way it won't burn as badly. since I am stubborn and don't like to freeze my milks).

Maythorn said:

Since I was lucky enough to get my hands on free (until now) GM and whey from the GM milk, I only use that. No added water. Also, if I have out of date cream or yogurt to use up, then I use that for the liquid in my soaps; no added water as well.

I've never used sunflower oil before. Until now, my list has been OO, CO, Castor, Red palm, Sweet almond, Grapeseed, Rapeseed, Shea & Cocoa butter, tallow and lard.

Buttermilk seems to curdle for me when I add lye to it, whether frozen or not. I don't know why. The coconut milk I get can't have lye directly added to eiither because it goes all gummy. Goats milk is the best behaved milk it seems like.

My recipe is boring compared to some. It's just palm or lard shortening with tallow from Walmart, olive, coconut, pko, soybean and castor. Not that I don't like things like shea and cocoa butter, I do 8) but I'm soaping on a budget and experimenting with new fragrances so I keep it cheap. I wish I could eliminate the soybean and do all olive because I've noticed softer slabs that I have to wait on cutting a day or two more.

I'm trying to narrow down my oil list, but I figure I have to try certain oils to see if I like or not.

I've decided I don't like red palm, it doesn't add anything but hardness. Rapeseed and Grapeseed can go too. OO, CO, Castor are a must, Shea & cocoa are luxury oils. Animal fat is something I really like in my soaps but it's not everyone's taste. My SIL & her friend used one of my soaps with 25% tallow and one described it as 'smelling like a cow' and the other said it 'smelled like leather'. They like the feel of the soap but not the 'fragrance' :D I never add any EO to my soaps. Don't want to spend the money searching for the perfect smell. :twisted:

Back