SF Too high/Too low ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure&simple

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Can some one tell me how I can tell if my SF is too high by looking at the SoapCalc result?

I think my question is more 'how can I tell if my soap will be too drying' from the information provided on SOAPCALC.

Or is it a hit and miss when I formulate my recipes?

For me, I need to keep my lauric acid levels at around 12%, or my soap can make me itchy. Also, I superfat at 10%. This is the best for my skin. A superfat level of 5-8% will be more drying to me.

When I used soapcalc, I tried to keep the cleansing #'s at no higher than 17.

Everyone's skin is different, so you may be fine w/a lower superfat and higher cleansing #'s.

I know people that superfat at 3%. That would take my skin off.

You just need to play around with different #'s and find out for yourself what works for your skin. :eek:)

Thank you Sandyfootfarm and LisaNY. I think I try your system Lisa, even if it's more notation than I ever thought about.

I have always wondered how you guys decide how much to SF with your soaps in consideration with the type of oils that you use. It's confusing when I read people SF at 20% with 100% Coconut oil but others SF at 7-8% with 40%-50% Coconut oil, since CO is so drying in high %. I'm somehow missing a piece of the puzzle here. Do I make sense?

Should I look at the % of cleansing (and/or anything else?) on the Soapcalc equation in order to 'see' how my soap 'should' come out?

Latest posts

Back