Shaving Soap - does this look reasonable?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Flyrod77, I was wondering if you had found a source of stearic acid that isn't derived from palm? When I was looking for some a year ago to formulate my husband's shave soap I wasn't able to find one, so I'd be interested to know if you had (if you didn't mind sharing)?

I didn't realize it was derived from palm. I received mine from Bramble Berry. I am new to all of this, so mine probably has palm and I didn't know it. The only reason I was trying to not use the palm was due to reading how there are some environment issues related to the plantations that are in the palm industry. I don't even know if that is valid info, but thought that if I could find an alternative to palm oil, why not do that.

I am green as a gourd on EVERYTHING related to making soap, so I'm just a clueless newbie right now about everything. All I do know is that my first few attempts at making soap have been good experiences and I like using the soap very much. I deeply appreciate the patient people here who have helped me understand the process of making soap better.

My research from a year ago indicated that stearic acid can also be derived from coconuts, but I was unable to find any that wasn't palm-derived (and asked because I was hoping you had!). Instead, I formulated a recipe that didn't include stearic based on some very helpful tips from this forum's IrishLass, who at one point also made a stearic acid-free shaving soap. My husband loves it, but to be fair, it's the only shave soap he's ever used and no one else has ever tried it. As an aside, introducing him to the world of double-edge razor shaving was a life changing experience for him. I only did it because I wanted to make the soap for it. lol

My research from a year ago indicated that stearic acid can also be derived from coconuts, but I was unable to find any that wasn't palm-derived (and asked because I was hoping you had!). Instead, I formulated a recipe that didn't include stearic based on some very helpful tips from this forum's IrishLass, who at one point also made a stearic acid-free shaving soap. My husband loves it, but to be fair, it's the only shave soap he's ever used and no one else has ever tried it. As an aside, introducing him to the world of double-edge razor shaving was a life changing experience for him. I only did it because I wanted to make the soap for it. lol

I just started shaving with a double-edge razor about 6 months ago. I can definitely relate to your husband, because I was so surprised by how much better it was than the methods I've tried over the past several years or so of shaving. I then tried a shaving soap and liked the "soap and a brush" experience a lot. Then I read about making shaving soap. So I gave that a try too, and found I liked that soap better than what I could find in the stores. Then, I came across this messageboard and thought I'd try making bath soap too. So I made a conditioning soap that I also like... I like this homemade soap a lot better than any soap I've used in my life.

My wife has been very patient with me through all of this. At first I think she thought that I had finally lost my mind. But then she said how much she liked the smell of the shaving soap. Now the bath soap too. I have to laugh, because the last batch of soap that I made, she asked if I could store it in her closet because she liked how it smells :)

When my daughter was home from college recently she liked the soap too, and she has asked if I would make her some of the conditioning soap in her favorite color. My son is coming home from college in two days and I'm half afraid to let him know about the soap thing or I'll be making his soap too
:)

But I am enjoying it. I'm grateful for the help here on this messageboard. Nice people for sure.

Haha - I can definitely relate to being caught by the soaping bug (as can most everyone on this forum, I imagine)! It starts off small, you just want to dabble, just want a taste of the soapmaking process, and think, I'll just make a little bit, enough for our personal use, and before you know it you can't help yourself and find dozens, if not hundreds, of soap bars curing. Oopsie, how did that happen? :shock:

My husband is a lot like you, in that he shaved using (ugh) disposable razors for 40 years and never considered there was another way. After I joined this forum I learned about shaving soap and really wanted to make some, but was unsure if he was too set in his ways to want to fuss with the procedures of wet shaving. I went ahead with the plan and gifted the new razor, brush, blades, and soap to him last Christmas. Since then, almost every time he shaves (it's not every day) he comes over to ask me to feel his face, as he remarks in wonderment how amazing it is and he can't imagine why he shaved any other way for all those years. Almost every time he says, it's so smooth! And it doesn't hurt to shave! Haha - I'm starting to wonder if his amazement will ever wear off. (and hope it doesn't!)

I know there are a lot of blade preferences out there, and everyone has their own, but psfred from this forum (and post) had mentioned the Wilkinson Sword blades a while back and how he can get quite a few shaves out of each one. Upon that recommendation my husband ordered some and loves them. So part of mentioning this is to let you know, and the other is to say thank you to psfred if he's reading!

Happy Soaping!

Back