lining wooden molds - part 1

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna see the test molds!! They sounds like "puppies."

I don't want to hijack this post, anymore than normal..haha. I have a neat little mold idea, I stole off of the internet that has some cool, test mold features. I'll start a thread and post pics. I'm sure a handy guy like you, could throw one together in 30 mins.

I wanna see the test molds!! They sounds like "puppies."

I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it for you...they are ugly, but they work like a charm..wouldn't trade em for nuttin' :lol:

As promised..my 'ugly baby' tester mold.. sitting inside my bigger normal mold :lol:

IMG_20141109_231338rs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Id have to measure it again because I really dont remember, but I 'think' its 3.5 x 2.5..I have a 1/2 lb tester recipe I use that fills it to the top..get about 4- 2.5 - 3.oz oz bars to play with. {depends on how thick I cut them really}I made 2 of them :)

Hello everyone.

I have found this video that seems to be a very good and relevantly quick lining method for a wooden mold.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAiRKIIKB_M[/ame]

I think I will use this method as I am a newbie on soap making (I haven't cooked any soap yet - I'm still in the reading process.)

Nikos

How to make adjustable molds? Boyd Craven III has a $.99 Ebook on how to make 9# adjustable molds. I made them and they work great!

I buy the cheap, clear, trash bag rolls and cut them in half. Cheap and easy!

Where did you get a mold where you can remove the ends.

Freezer paper is expensive. Trash bags by the roll. Cut and set in.

I'm fairly certain that any wal mart and most grocery stores would have it. It's just called freezer paper usually by Reynolds a blue and white or blue and gold box. Never tried wax paper!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can make one. get 3x6 high ends cut by home depot or your hubby. then cut the length you need.
Drill holes on both ends. get two carriage bolts. and walla

carriage bolts 1.08
wing nut 1.18 i think

wood can be free or in scrap bin for cheap.
cutting it free

Making soap PRICELESS

WILL THIS SUSTAIN 170 degree heet. I sometime cpop my soap

Hi. In the UK it's called grease proof paper and is available in all supermarkets next to the cling film and foil. I sometimes use the cling film to line my molds because it take ages with paper. I'm rubbish at making it fit!

Hi. In the UK it's called grease proof paper and is available in all supermarkets next to the cling film and foil. I sometimes use the cling film to line my molds because it take ages with paper. I'm rubbish at making it fit!

This post is 2 years old. Many of the posters are no longer here. Welcome but please be sure to read the rules of the forum. :)

I use a trash bag cut up and wrap each side of my mold. My soap mold comes apart though.....I have noticed lots of people use ones that don't come apart

I can't remember the "mil" on them but I used heavy duty yard bags to line my wooden molds. It's been several years and I still have them. My husband made my molds and one is not exactly like the other so I cut the liners specifically for each mold, just like it shows in the video.

The great thing is I don't have to throw the liners away, I can reuse them to my heart's content. My molds have lids so I also cut a strip to cover the top of the soap before I put the lid on. When you are ready, you just lift the liner out, soap and all. The liners can get a little oily after time but since you can make several out of one trash bag, it's not at all expensive.

I use freezer paper in my wooden molds. However, I have purchased silicon molds and I like them best. They are smaller than the molds my hubby made. I cover with cardboard so I need t get hubby busy with kids! Great idea!

Easy peezy - lots of youtube vids show you how to make your own. This is probably one of the best imho. Pick up some cheap white wood at your local big box home store and go for it. Cheap.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]yog0-s9OsDA[/MEDIA]"]

As for lining them - HAH! I have struggled with that since day one and continue to do so. (sigh)

Someone recently mentioned using oilcloth; two end pieces and one piece for the “body”. Tried it. Holy cow! Works terrifically well and the oilcloth can easily be washed and reused. It is going to be my go-to liner system from now on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back