Using molds (and unmolding) from hard plastic molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamison

Reaction score
I got these hard plastic molds and didn't even think about any sort of mold releasing agent. Now the little bars are stuck in the mold.

Is there a way to fix this issue in the future?

Pretty sure I'm stuck digging the bars out and ruining them.

A thin coating of mineral oil or petroleum jelly (neither saponifies) will help. You can also try popping them in the freezer for several minutes, that sometimes helps them loosen up.

I've never had much luck with cooking spray although others have, I think mine may have just become more soap!

I've had luck with sodium lactate at about 1-2%. No crumbling, and the soap retains all the detail of the mold really nicely. Add the SL to the water before adding the lye. Stir it in well, then the lye. And as Dorymae says, the freezer works, too. If a couple of minutes doesn't work, try longer. Some of my molds have required both SL and freezer. Makes me love silicone all the more!

I agree with Dorymae. I use hard plastic molds all the time for CP and I do both mineral oil and freezer with good results.

Latest posts

Back