Going to Try CP This Winter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rains Mirage

Reaction score
Ok after thinking and prodding from my bestie after we get proficient in M&P, we are going to take a crack at CP. She showed her 10 year old what happens when lye burns the skin, so she is confident Kae wont go crazy bouncing around a such while she's mixing the lye, which leaves me with my very curious kitties. I think I can get it mixed in before they get in my way.

Anyways I am going to go with a kit for my very first CP. I found this one http://www.brambleberry.com/Beginners-Cold-Process-Soap-Kit-P5202.aspx Would it be a good kit for noob to play with. I plan on playing around with it during my winter break.

Jennifer found wooden loaf molds on Artfire that i want to get. The kit comes with instructions and an e book. But would it be a good beginners kit?

Brambleberry's products are top notch and Anne-Marie is a good teacher. The kit looks like a wonderful way to introduce yourself to CP. I wish something like that was avaialable when I first started out. Just familiarize yourself with all the safety precautions and take them to heart before proceeding.

IrishLass :)

Yea.. I watched her vid on saftey and it stated there are fumes and to stand away. i have a trashed upper rep system, so not matter how far back i stood while mixing the lye water i risk and eventual bronchitis attack that would last 3 to 5 months of misery and pain.

Have fun! I remember how exciting it was studying and preparing for my first batch of CP! :D

If you have an at-risk respiratory system, I wonder if it would be worth it to consider extra protection in the form of a respirator mask?

I looked at them, but if my dad saw me using it, well the stress from him pointing and laughing and being himself would make the CP not fun.

Bramble Berry is great, so I think the kit would be a good idea. You will have everything you need. And this particular kit is so reasonably priced, you'd be hard pressed to gather all those ingredients for less money (though you might be able to buy larger sizes so you're ready to make more soap!) For that reason, you might consider really taking a look at the sizes of what comes in the kit because you might be able to find the ingredients cheaper if you buy them separately. The advantage of Anne-Marie's kits is that you really do have everything you need to get going (except I think not all of them come with lye like this one), but a disadvantage is the cost for all of it can be higher than if you bought the ingredients separately—depending, of course, on what actually comes with the kit. You get more of a deal when you buy one with a mold in it. This looks look a great buy, though.

As far as your kitties go they are going to hate the smell of the lye water and will disappear into the woodwork. Cats are smarter than we think sometimes and I would be really, really surprised if they got close to the lye solution at all.....

Back