deodorant soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can you use baking soda or washing soda in soap? I know I use the washing soda in laundry soap, can it be used in CP? I have seen both of these listed in commercial deodorant soap. I have also seen witch hazel mentioned as a deodorizing agent. Would it hold up in soap? Has anyone tried it?

Kansas Farm Girl said:
can you use baking soda or washing soda in soap? I know I use the washing soda in laundry soap, can it be used in CP? I have seen both of these listed in commercial deodorant soap. I have also seen witch hazel mentioned as a deodorizing agent. Would it hold up in soap? Has anyone tried it?
Not sure about baking or washing soda, never tried, but i rebached with witch hazel and it was fine, i don't think it will hold up in CP

deodorant soap

what if she used the liquid in two batches and after dissolving the lye then added the remaining liquid (witch hazel) at trace ? just an idea....

will try the lavender mint sounds refreshing!

can you use baking soda or washing soda in soap?
I've used baking soda once, but could see no difference.

Just guessing, washing soda might increase the washing power of soap. Could also create a harsh soap.

Soap is quite cleansing, there is no need to add extra ingredients. If you must, create a more cleansing recipe.

We need to think what we are missing here. If soap is enough to clean up billions of people, what's so special about this case ?

Since I first posted the question I started asking myself whether commercial deodorant soap was more than just hype. After doing some research it seems that since soap does not stay on the skin, any soap should wash perspiration off of the body, and with it, any body odor, right? If that is true then the "need" for deodorant soap is probably a result of a good marketing campaign. Since my friend believes he needs this type of soap and is stubborn enough to resist expanding his horizons sometimes, I was trying to find a recipe that would satisfy his need for deodorant soap and get him away from commercial varieties. I have found sites that say that lemon grass, tea tree oil, rosemary and sage (to name a few) EOs are antibacterial and work in deodorants - which stay on the skin, unlike soap, so may not add any deodorant value to soap. I may never make him into a convert, but at least I think I have a better understanding of the subject now. Thank you, everyone, for your input and thoughts, it has helped me think this subject through a little more thoroughly.

If you are going to use Witch Hazel in the soap be very careful. It will volcano....yea, I've done it. That being said, I didn't think it added much to the soap.

Add a little clay to the soap to help with the scrubbing action. Body odor comes from bacteria on the skin....wash it off well, the stink is gone.

If soap isn't getting the smell off him, then maybe he has a medical problem and should see his doctor. He could have a bacterial problem.
Any soap with water should be able to get regular everyday stink off.

Since I first posted the question I started asking myself whether commercial deodorant soap was more than just hype. After doing some research it seems that since soap does not stay on the skin, any soap should wash perspiration off of the body, and with it, any body odor, right? If that is true then the "need" for deodorant soap is probably a result of a good marketing campaign.

I think you are on to something here... When I was in school (thousands of years ago when dinosaurs still roamed the earth), back in health class we were told to avoid "deodorant soap" because they were antibacterial soaps and were not meant for every day use. They kill all of the good necessary bacteria as well as the bad ones and can cause skin problems. We read now that overuse of antibacterial products may be contributing to breeding super bugs like MRSA. I agree with Genny, unless you have a serious problem, regular soap and water should be sufficient.

In The Soapmaker's Companion, Susan Miller Cavitch has a recipe for a deodorizing bar called Don't Sweat the Small Stuff.

Latest posts

Back