IFRA Maximum Use Level:

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasues

Reaction score
If the IFRA's max use level is 17% for soap when making CP is it 17% of the batch (oils and distilled water ) total in fluid ounces and lye in ounces. Experimenting with FO's and the scent seems a bit weak. We did lower the temp to 90 degrees for the oils and lye and mixed the FO's into the batch last. Any suggestions

It is the percent in the finished product, so you need to know how much water evaporates from your soap or to be safe, assume it all does.

Percentages MUST be calculated with all amounts in the same units (use weight).

17% seems high. What EO is giving you problems?

carebear said:
It is the percent in the finished product, so you need to know how much water evaporates from your soap or to be safe, assume it all does.

Percentages MUST be calculated with all amounts in the same units (use weight).

17% seems high. What EO is giving you problems?
it was an FO Abaloneand Sea Fragrance @17.70
with Rainforest @ 8.10 and 34OZ of base ended up with 2 3/4 OZ

If you are using two fragrance oils in one product you need to be careful that your total is not too high. Many oils contain the same ingredient so you cannot necessarily use both at their maximums, or even one at max and then another.

17.7% of the weight of oils (and lye, but usually we just do the oils weight). 17.7% of 34 ounces of oils = 6 ounces. That's about 3X what is typically used for CP soap (usually FOs are used in the 4-6% range). Even if you are including the water it'd be at over 9% Just because something is ALLOWED to be used at that level doesn't mean it's a recommended level. Perhaps it simply doesn't hold up in the high pH environment of soap.

I've not tried the Abalone and Sea, but I've soaped Rainforest (WSP, right? Crafter's Choice?) at 6% and it is good and strong and 3 years later still strong. That's 1 ounce of FO in 16 ounces of oils. So if you are having trouble with Rainforest at 8% then something is wrong.

Hey Carebear! Did you soap the WSP Rainforest fragrance oil or the Rainforest EO/FO Blend? I bought some of the Rainforest fragrance oil during the recent WSP sale, but I didn't read the reviews on the site before my purchase. Several reviews said that the smell fades quickly in cp soap and was gone within 3 weeks :( . I was considering using the Rainforest FO in bath products instead of soap if fades but if it won't fade out, then I am so gonna soap this fo. I really like the smell oob. Thanks.

Ummmm, I think it was the EO blend. I didn't realize they had the same name on two products. The EO blend is lasting!

I am so sorry for bumping your thread Jasues. My apologies :oops:
Unfortunately, I cannot help you with your original question (I have no clue)...hope you get the answers you need.

carebear said:
If you are using two fragrance oils in one product you need to be careful that your total is not too high. Many oils contain the same ingredient so you cannot necessarily use both at their maximums, or even one at max and then another.

17.7% of the weight of oils (and lye, but usually we just do the oils weight). 17.7% of 34 ounces of oils = 6 ounces. That's about 3X what is typically used for CP soap (usually FOs are used in the 4-6% range). Even if you are including the water it'd be at over 9% Just because something is ALLOWED to be used at that level doesn't mean it's a recommended level. Perhaps it simply doesn't hold up in the high pH environment of soap.

I've not tried the Abalone and Sea, but I've soaped Rainforest (WSP, right? Crafter's Choice?) at 6% and it is good and strong and 3 years later still strong. That's 1 ounce of FO in 16 ounces of oils. So if you are having trouble with Rainforest at 8% then something is wrong.

Been away for a while working the "really world Job" for now. Any way thank you for the ALLOWED statement. Cute story We tried a 34oz batch with FO English Tea Rose IFRA 10% Used 3.4 OZ of the FO Can anyone guess what happened???? SEIZED LIKE A ROCK within 10 seconds Thank you Thank you

Back