What do you do for Thanksgiving?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agriffin

Reaction score
We go out to a community center in a small town called Bonham, TX.

We have a large family. Everyone brings stuff and we pig out all. day. long. We play lots of dominos and cards.

I usually take desserts and a corn side dish. I've yet to make a turkey! :shock:

That sounds like fun!
We have our Thanksgiving in October (Canadians!) so we usually take turns hosting and have the traditional turkey, etc.

What corn side dish do you make?

We go deer hunting in the morning (well, my DH and I fight over who gets to go with my two uncles as someone has to watch our son) then eat at my Aunt's house. I usually bring a carrot cake.

We used to take turns going to my family's one year then my in-laws the next, but DH says my family can cook better so now we just eat with my family & go to his for dessert! :p

Bubbly Buddha said:
That sounds like fun!
We have our Thanksgiving in October (Canadians!) so we usually take turns hosting and have the traditional turkey, etc.

It's super easy and so yummy!

1 can of sweet corn (don't drain)
1 can of sweet cream corn
1 stick of butter
1 box of jiffy cornbread mix

Melt the butter and mix everything together. Put in an 8x8 pan and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. You can sprinkle cheese on top.

Kids really like it.

Usually we gather the family at the beach house.

Not sure we're going to do that this year, still waiting on a head count. This might be the year we stay put and watch parades and football games.

(I'm pulling for staying home and relaxing and a nice traditional dinner instead of a grand 7 course meal.)

For Thanksgiving I make a roast turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes with walnuts and marshmallows and a green bean casserolle. I might make a fresh apple strudel too.

It'll just be me, hubby and son this year. I love them both but it's always nice to have a bunch of family around. Won't happen this year cause I've had a big blow out with one sister, and the other 2 will be out of town. :( I hope next year will be better.

We don't do thanksgiving over here obviously, but I'm looking forward to Christmas (with slightly mixed feelings lol) as I'm invited to stay over at the place of my new boyfriends mother :p
Uhm, invited. More like tricked into. BF asked what are you doing for Christmas. Dunno yet, I think I'm going over to my neighbor. Well, if you don't know yet, you're coming over to our place and I'm calling my mom right now :shock:
I know my BF since... forever, but haven't seen his mother in 6 years.

MIL, here I come! :lol:

We've started a new Thanksgiving tradition for the hubby and kiddo and I, we don't do a normal holiday meal at home, we go to one of the breathtakingly lovely local restaurants right on the pier downtown and have Thanksgiving dinner there. You can see the water from almost every table, the food and service are outstanding, and they do this huge Thanksgiving spread with roasted turkey and all of the trimmings.

My stepmother was just really surprised when she asked what we were doing for Thanksgiving the first year we went to The Columbia, she and my dad thought we were going there out of desperation and were being forced to suffer through a Thanksgiving at a restaurant, but we really wanted to go and they (reluctantly I think) agreed to meet us there. Oh boy were they surprised by how pleasant the day was, and before we left my stepmom leaned over and said, "We're going to do this again next year, right?" and so we have. :lol:

agriffin said:

1 stick of butter

Melt the butter and mix everything together. Put in an 8x8 pan and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. You can sprinkle cheese on top.

Kids really like it.

I make this exact same recipe! It is absolutely fabulous and everyone loves it. My uncle likes to fry it in a frying pan the day after it's made with a bunch of butter for breakfast.

agriffin said:
Bubbly Buddha said:
That sounds like fun!

1 stick of butter

Kids really like it.

I made your recipe this morning to serve with dinner tonight! It smells wonderful. I added a 1/4 cup of heavy cream, some chopped green chilies and some sharp cheddar to the mix.

I baked it for 30 minutes and tonight I'll bake it another 30 to warm it all up again.

(I'm better at getting dinner on the table if I start in the morning... :) )

Grandma always brings that corn "hot dish" to Thanksgiving dinner and it is completely gone by the end. I usually don't even get a spoon because all the guys dig in and cover half their plate in it.

We go to my in-laws every year and my favorite thing is my mom-in-law's wild rice stuffing. I always put the turkey gravy over it and ohhh. Amazing.

Okay, my mouth is watering now. Only a week to stuffing!

I make stuffed roasted duck with sautéed cabbage and dumplings or potatoes (European dinner) For desert- pumpkin pie is a must.

I try to do something different each year...
Everything from accepting invitations from co-workers... to cooking dinner and inviting friends... restaurants... long weekend at the beach...
And one year I just stayed home, turned my phone off, put up my xmas lights and made lasagna.

About once every 10 years I get together with family.

Update!

One of my sisters is coming for Thanksgiving and bringing her son and hubby. We're staying home and cooking and gabbing and soaping and scrapbooking!

Best part? She lives 10 minutes from WSP, I placed an order yesterday and she's picking it up today! Great Big 25% savings!

My family will be gathering at my brothers house this year. Lots of good eats, better than the Lions will be anyway. Now if I was not getting together with my family and lived on the west coast I would try to get invited over soapbuddys house. The menu looks good.

Bruce

Bigmoose said:
My family will be gathering at my brothers house this year. Lots of good eats, better than the Lions will be anyway. Now if I was not getting together with my family and lived on the west coast I would try to get invited over soapbuddys house. The menu looks good.

Bruce

:lol: :lol: Bigmoose! If I didn't already have plans, I'd want to go to Deda's house......I could place a big order at WSP also and have Sister of Deda pick that up too.

RubySlippers, you're in Ohio? This sister lives in Doylestown, a tiny little town between Akron and Cleveland.

Latest posts

Back