~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Beginners Soap Making Forum > Interested in making soaps

Old 12-07-2017, 03:52 AM   #1
BroknArrw

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via MSN to BroknArrw Send a message via Yahoo to BroknArrw
Default Interested in making soaps

Hello, I am in the Philly area and want to learn how to do soaps
Started watching the soap queen.

What process does everyone prefer?

Anyone harvesting rainwater? Is it much of an effort?

I am looking to find classes close to me and once I do I can pick more brains. I want to educate myself as best I can.

Thanks for having me.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:05 AM   #2
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4994 Times on 2904 Posts
Likes Given: 1310

I would start here, http://www.soaping101.com/, watching Soaping 101 videos and there are also recipes. You can certainly ask for help here and someone will show to answer your questions. Millersoap.com also has a lot of good information and recipes. I have never been very fond of Supplier recipes since their main goal is to sell supplies. But that is just cynical me...

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
People Like This 
Old 12-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #3
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2349 Times on 1177 Posts
Likes Given: 1794

Welcome, BroknArrw. Here's a link to Certified Soap Making Teachers. The first class I took was in Ohio, and one of the other students in that class was from Pennsylvania. The distance for her to travel to Ohio was shorter than mine from Illinois (almost from the Iowa border, actually), so don't let distance be a deterrent if you are really motivated to take a class. But nearer you is a class in Pennsylvania, in January, so not so far to drive.

Pennsylvania also has a Soapmakers Gathering in June. I haven't been to that one, but have been to the one in Ohio for Ohio Soapmakers (and whoever else wants to attend, which I did). It was so much fun and you get to meet soapmakers face to face and build a network of soaping friends.

Of course you don't really have to take a hands on class in order to learn the craft, but I thoroughly enjoyed the classes I took and if that's something you really want to do, it's well worth it, IMO.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7909 Times on 4358 Posts
Likes Given: 16638

Use distilled water. It is consistent in its formulation, and you do not have to filter it and hope there is nothing "biological" in it.
And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2:10-14
penelopejane Likes This 
Old 12-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11364 Times on 5145 Posts
Likes Given: 5069

I'm with Susie. Rainwater isn't as clean and pure as you'd think, although it's certainly "soft." I could easily collect and use rainwater, but I'll stick to my store-bought distilled.

edit: Harvesting rainwater? Just stick a bucket under a rainspout is pretty much all that's needed. Wait for 10-15 minutes after the rains starts before filling the bucket, so the dust on the roof gets washed off and doesn't end up in your bucket.

Last edited by DeeAnna; 12-07-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Susie Likes This 
Old 12-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 3184 Times on 2268 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Welcome to the forum. I like the soaping101 vidoes and Soap Queen TV tutorials.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #7
penelopejane

Liked 1934 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 2951

I also like and recommend soaping 101 videos to learn to soap.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:00 AM   #8
Kamahido
Paladin of Soap

Liked 430 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use the Cold Process Oven Process and am fine with paying $0.99 for a gallon of distilled water rather than collect rainwater.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #9
jcandleattic

Liked 648 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I agree with others, used distilled water - easier and less worry.

As a side-note, if you do want to collect rain water and filter it, check with your local authorities on the collection of rain water.
In my area it is illegal to collect rain water, for any reason. (Sucks, I know, but it is what it is)