~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Liquid Soap and Cream Soap Forum > 50:50 Dual Lye liquid soap

Old 11-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #11
gloopygloop

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Soap looks really nice.
When I used dual lye I did find that diluted soap was indeed considerably thicker? I also found that during periods of cold weather it would cloud up to opaque and then clear again to translucent when temperature had raised again.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #12
hampan

Default Help

I have a question about liquid soap and can't figure out how to post it so am replying to another post. My apologies.
I want to make liquid soap without coconut oil. I am in Greece and have lots of olive oil but hard to find coconut oil and it's expensive. If I don't care about clarity, could I switch out lard for the coconut oil in a recipe that is primarily olive oil?

Old 11-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #13
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11364 Times on 5145 Posts
Likes Given: 5069

Coconut oil is used to make the liquid soap lather more freely. Palm kernel oil acts similar to coconut oil -- it adds bubbles too -- so PKO is more of a direct substitute for CO.

You can omit the coconut oil and the soap will still clean; it just won't bubble a lot. Lard is not really a direct substitute for coconut oil, but, yes, you can use lard in liquid soap.

You could also try 100% olive oil to make liquid soap, but the oleic acid content of this soap will be high -- about 70%. I think it is better to include other fats (including lard) so the oleic acid content of the soap is under 60% and preferably closer to 50%. In my experience, a liquid soap with oleic acid over 60% requires so much water to dilute to a pourable consistency that the soap does not clean well.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #14
biarine

Liked 426 Times on 255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampan View Post
I have a question about liquid soap and can't figure out how to post it so am replying to another post. My apologies.
I want to make liquid soap without coconut oil. I am in Greece and have lots of olive oil but hard to find coconut oil and it's expensive. If I don't care about clarity, could I switch out lard for the coconut oil in a recipe that is primarily olive oil?

I made 100% olive liquid soap itís so thick but the only problem is the bubbles not much and about cleaning power itís ok. If youíre not bother that itís not bubbly and 100% olive oil itís ok for you.