Coffee EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I am FINALLY making my coffee soap today. My lye solution is cooled and my oils are cool. I've added my coffee eo to the oils but the scent disappeared! I bought a 16oz bottle of Brazil Coffee eo from New Directions Aromatics. It was $138 delivered. So by only using 3oz eo in my 8lb batch of soap i am keeping my cost down. I was hoping that the scent, even if it is light, would still have enough coffee scent. I used 20oz of water to dissolve the lye and added 20oz strong cold brew coffee after the lye cooled. I'm sooo dissapointed! I've never had an essential oil disappear on me in the warm oils!! I would hate to make the soap for it to turn out UNSCENTED!!!! In order to give it some scent I'm thinking of adding benzoin(vanilla) to give it something yummy.

My coffee bar was scented with 0.5oz ppo of a coffee FO and it smells quite nice, but EOs take much higher usage rate to scent a batch and stick. I use most EOs at 0.7 to 1.0oz ppo, individual or as a blend. You might just need to up your EO amount and yes it's going to cost even more.

You may want to consider HP. It uses less scent.

But as HSC already mixed the EO with oils it would be counter productive to go the HP route now, wouldn't it? I'm sure you missed that point in that post, but just wanted to make sure HSC knows this and doesn't go burning off that precious EO in HP.

But as HSC already mixed the EO with oils it would be counter productive to go the HP route now, wouldn't it? I'm sure you missed that point in that post, but just wanted to make sure HSC knows this and doesn't go burning off that precious EO in HP.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself clearly. I meant if HSC wants to try this again, try making HP soap. You are right, HP (really a rebatch I suppose) would just burn off the coffee EO.

Well I'm going to go ahead and add a 4th ounce. I figure, some batches of soap are much much cheaper so if i can make an awesome coffee soap then it'll be worth it and even out!

Are you opposed to using FOs? I might not use them for myself, at least not in the winter as I'm discovering that when compared to EO soaps, FO soap batches with same recipes otherwise are a bit drying to my skin. If you have no reservations about artificial fragrances, you will be able to get better results with an FO.

I have chosen the natural route for my business. It does make me get quite creative! Using all natural colorants/herbs and only essential oils to create my own scent blends. I never thought it would be possible to do coffee soap but the idea of giving it a try with a smaller ratio of usage was my hope.

I find if I use concentrated coffee as part of my liquid, I do get a faint coffee scent.

I never did get the 4th oz of coffee eo added in, nor the benzoin. I think it would have helped. Even just adding the benzoin with the 3oz of coffee would have warmed up the scent. We'll see after the cure.

At least it looks good!! I think it actually will cure to a nice scent. Its a light coffee now with a faint ash to it. Im hoping the ash fades and not the coffee. Hahaa

Hmmmm.... It's not letting me upload a pic right now. I'll try again later

Last edited:
This is the color right after cut

1445874636660.jpg

Latest posts

Back