Coffee EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just putting my two cents in...
I'm making some coffee soap for my coffee addicted sister. When I asked her if she would want it to smell like coffee she said "Hell no, I may love coffee but I don't want to smell like it, in fact if I spill it on myself it drives me nuts that I have the smell on me".
I was surprised, but she still wanted coffee soap...just not with the smell. She's opting for peppermint instead to help wake her up.
For those that love flavored coffees maybe concentrating on the "flavor" for aroma would be a better idea. Hazelnut? Vanilla? Chocolate?

I was thinking of something robust, not sweet and maybe with some Orange oil so it would be a good deodouriser and wake up soap.

With that combination of scents I may have to try a HP so I can add it late and try to get it to stick.

All good fun - and it does keep us off the streets and kind of out of trouble. :shifty:

Just putting my two cents in...
I'm making some coffee soap for my coffee addicted sister. When I asked her if she would want it to smell like coffee she said "Hell no, I may love coffee but I don't want to smell like it, in fact if I spill it on myself it drives me nuts that I have the smell on me".
I was surprised, but she still wanted coffee soap...just not with the smell. She's opting for peppermint instead to help wake her up.
For those that love flavored coffees maybe concentrating on the "flavor" for aroma would be a better idea. Hazelnut? Vanilla? Chocolate?

That's a good point! I love scampi, but do I want to smell like it? I love the smell of fresh grind coffee, I am just now wondering if I want to smell like it, and...........how would the scent be because people have different body oils that change the chem of things.Would I smell like that burn coffee that's been on the hot plate for 8 hrs?:p

I made a coffee sugar scrub with some vanilla coffee grounds and I smelled like a frappucino for the first half of the day. I don't know how I feel about that. I mean I love the smell of coffee but smelling like a frappe was a bit weird. I've used caramel coffee from Nurture and it ends up curing to a creamy vanilla, light caramel, less on the coffee. I really like it. I'm hoping their reformulation will be just as good.

I think the coffee scent would definitely stick in a lotion or scrub. But with soap it should be more is an aromatherapy experience than an all day scent. I ended up ordering some coffee eo and will be trying it soon in cp soap. I'll update you all!

I made a coffee sugar scrub with some vanilla coffee grounds and I smelled like a frappucino for the first half of the day. I don't know how I feel about that.

This kind of cracked me up.

Also, I think old coffee grounds smell a bit like cigarette smoke. Boyfriend left his coffee grounds out one day that I was working from home and I came down in the middle of the day and freaked out because I smelled cigarette smoke and thought someone had broken in to our basement. Just a thought as to how coffee EO might morph during saponification.

This kind of cracked me up.

Also, I think old coffee grounds smell a bit like cigarette smoke. Boyfriend left his coffee grounds out one day that I was working from home and I came down in the middle of the day and freaked out because I smelled cigarette smoke and thought someone had broken in to our basement. Just a thought as to how coffee EO might morph during saponification.

That is good to know. I have not made soap in awhile and Iam trying to get my ducks in a row. What I mean by not making soap in awhile, I mean I have been stuck on the same style and am ready to try something new.

Also, I think old coffee grounds smell a bit like cigarette smoke... Just a thought as to how coffee EO might morph during saponification.

Used grounds certainly do.

I should report that one of my tests had a slight coffee scent for a little while. I must have missed it in my first round of sniff tests and it is already gone now. It was from one of the infused oil batches and fortunately it didn't smell like cigarette smoke.:smile:

I tried using fresh ones that had been skimmed before I pour my shot - recycling the little bits that fall off each time.

Since my grounds take a while to collect, I'm thinking I should grind some up just to experiment with and start infusing them straight away. Also do a triple infusion like one of the guys on here suggested and leave it for longer before I use it.

Then use a coffee ground tea (it is just wrong to say 'tea' when referring to coffee) for colour.

Hanging out to hear what results come from the EO.:thumbup:

No matter what, the time isn't wasted (and neither is the soap). I'm learning and I know someone else will come along and read this thread and maybe help them too.

Sounds like you have similar planning issues to me. There is always something else taking precedence over what I want to do.:sad:

Okay, so I made my coffee soap...I used very strong coffee and wasn't happy with the color so I added a tsp of espresso powder to really darken it up...this is what I was hoping for...

001.jpg

I unmolded early knowing it was a dud which is why it's not so crisp. Reminded me of puffed wheat I used to eat as a kid. Wondering if next time I should use my black oxide or coco powder to color it. My sister isn't a chocolate fan...(I know she's very weird) so I don't know if it will give off a chocolate scent...
Any suggestions?

Cocoa powder won't leave a scent, but also won't be as dark as your first picture. I'd add the tiniest bit of your black oxide to the cocoa, to darken it up.

My soaps from my strong cold brew thread also lightened up a bit initially but then went back to their dark color. I had posted a not so attractive pic in that thread. These are the same soaps, prettied up a bit, but mind you, my coffee must be the strongest brew out here. Need to make a loaf of this soap yet.

image.jpg

I unmolded early knowing it was a dud which is why it's not so crisp. Reminded me of puffed wheat I used to eat as a kid. Wondering if next time I should use my black oxide or coco powder to color it. My sister isn't a chocolate fan...(I know she's very weird) so I don't know if it will give off a chocolate scent...
Any suggestions?

From the tests I did the darkest colour comes from pouring boiling water over fresh coffee grounds. I poured 2 cups boiling water over 1/2 cup fine (espresso) grounds for a couple of hours then filtered through a coffee filter as I didn't want any grit. You might get more colour if you boiled it for longer, percolated it or even evaporated off some of the water after filtering.

I used 38% water/w oil so I could incorporate the maximum amount of colour and finally, the soap had to gel.

After all of that, a month later the colour is less black brown like espresso and more dark brown sugar. This photo is on white paper with a couple of beans on top for reference.

image001.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if she will like a vanilla fragrance. I'll try grinding my coffee to a powder and adding cocoa to it and see if I get the results I'm looking for.

Latest posts

Back