charcoal soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysoapopera

Reaction score
Im trying to find out about charcoal soap? looked on the web and found beautiful pic's but no real concept of how it is made. Does the charcoal go in at trace? And just what is it ? one sight said you can buy it at walmart in the pet dept (with the fish tanks)?? Any advice...Thanks Kathleen

I buy mine at the pet store and grind it up in a coffee grinder and then I use a mortar and pestle to grind up any bits the grinder did not get. Then I add it at trace and mix well. I use 1 tsp per pound of oils.

What is with charcoal soap? Is it supposed to help with something in particular?

It's supposed to be good for acne/oily skin... It is said that it helps to draw out the yuckiness in the skin that causes acne, I believe.

I get mine at the healthfood store- Activated Charcoal made by Nature's Way Herbs. It's in capsule form, so I just snip them open, pour out the charcoal and stickblend it into my oils before adding the lye/water mixture.

Straight out of the capsule it's superfine like talcum powder so it needs no grinding.

Five capsules is equal to 1 teaspoon, and that's the amount I add to every one pound of soaping oils. At 1 teaspoon ppo, it makes my soap beautifully black while the lather stays white.

The son of one of my friends told me my charcoal soap helped cut down on his teenage acne.

IrishLass

so it will lather white, that was a biggie for me..I was worried about the color because I did'nt want to fade any wash cloths!!! :oops:

Yes it lathers white. I use the pet store stuff since it is cheaper. If you take a look at my site I have a "Zen Bar" that is half charcoal and half bentonite and kaoline clay. It makes a really good acne oily skin facial bar.

ilovedoxies said:
What's better for acne? Charcoal or clay?

Either or. Everyones skin is different. It might work on some and irritate the hell out of another.

garland that is zen looking...I'm not sure if I can do that yet or not still fooling around trying to get a good base. Untill then I'll just have to order from you!! :lol: So..you put the charcoal in as a swirl at the end (correct). Thanks Kathleen

Yes i swirl in the mold. I pour at about a medium trace them I pour the black in a thin stream into the clay soap.

I hadn't heard that. I might have to try it. I think I have some charcoal from a fish tank around somewhere. :D

Thanks! That is the bar I am most proud of. And it is very popular. I just sold out...again! I need make bigger molds:)

Latest posts

Back