Sugar scrub cube difficulties

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funastrum

Reaction score
Last night I started to make sugar scrub cubes but I have been having some trouble.

My recipe (using a scale):

3 oz Olive Oil Glycerin
2 oz Avocado oil
6 oz granulated sugar
2 ml Fragrance
.1 oz Phenonip preservative

I melt the glycerin, add the oil, put in my preservative, colorants, and fragrance, then I quickly add the sugar and put the batter into the mold. It moves SO quickly though when I add the sugar (and I am quite fast myself!), it becomes solid immediately and I have to use my fingers to fill out the mold. The results are often crumbly, especially when I try to cut them. I end up only being able to salvage half of them...
Is it the type of glycerin I am using? On the recipe webpage the batter looks so liquid and easy to work with, but mine gets so thick, so quickly!

Any tips would be appreciated! I really want these to work.

Thanks lsg!
I will have to try that if my plan B does not work out tomorrow. I am going to see if I can get a basic M&P at Michael's tomorrow and see if it makes a difference in comparison to the OO M&P. I tried the soapqueen recipe in addition to the other, and I am getting the same issue. Hopefully a super basic M&P will be better than what I got off of Ebay.

I made similar cubes! They were awful! Crumbly until I wanted to use them, and then they were hard as rocks. Terrible!
I'm looking forward to seeing what people who have been successful at this have to say! ;)

I made similar cubes! They were awful! Crumbly until I wanted to use them, and then they were hard as rocks. Terrible!
I'm looking forward to seeing what people who have been successful at this have to say! ;)

I'm going to head to Michael's now, I will report back my results ASAP. *Crossing my fingers*

Woohoo! I think I figured it out!

It was not my melt and pour base, but rather my temperatures. I used the new base and got the same results many times. I tried something different, and added my oil to the melt and pour BEFORE melting the soap base. If I add the oils later they bring my melt and pour temps down, so that when I add the sugar it solidifies too quickly. Having the oil at the same temperature makes the mixture pourable. Don't let it get too hot or you might melt your sugar, but just keeping an eye on the microwave and stopping it when it has melted is the perfect temperature. You still have to work quickly to pour the mixture, but it has bought me a lot of time and for once is pourable and not soap on a stick.

Hopefully this helps everyone else :)

Latest posts

Back