hard water recipe ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honor435

Reaction score
ok, i found out that most of my relies in Tx dont have soft water( i tried to convince them that their hair, clothes etc would b so much better), they never told me that my soap wasnt bubbly enough.
My question what do I do up my pk? Im doing 29% now, should I up it to 35%?

We have hard water here and I haven't found a soap recipe that works on my hair. My homemade laundry recipe won't clean like detergent either as it doesn't rinse out well in our hard water. So I don't think anyone could convince me that regular lye soap would work better for my hair or clothes as I have already tried several recipes.

Have you tried adding sugar to a batch?

Also, I don't know if this works but I've read that adding borax to soap helps to "soften" the water so a bar will lather better. I'll have to google and see if I can find where I saw this comment.

You might find Vintageliving's post helpful. She mentions using potassium carbonate or sodium carbonate in soap but I think she might have been referring to liquid soap. Here's the link if you'd like to look at it. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14992

lsg said:
We have hard water here and I haven't found a soap recipe that works on my hair. My homemade laundry recipe won't clean like detergent either as it doesn't rinse out well in our hard water. So I don't think anyone could convince me that regular lye soap would work better for my hair or clothes as I have already tried several recipes.
Use vinegar in your rinse cycle. It removes soap scum and residue and also acts as a fabric softener.

Latest posts

Back