What do you use as a preservative

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ

Reaction score
Do you put preservatives in your soap or is that not needed? What kinds of preservatives do you use for other things like lotions, sugar scrubs, body butters, etc? If you are making liquid soap do you add preservatives to that?

I've heard of:
Lecithin
Vitamin E
Grapefruit seed extract
being used as natural preservatives. Would you recommend just using one of those or do you think a more synthetic preservative holds up better? I'm looking at using vitamin e or the lecithin since I can get them from company I was already going to be purchasing from anyway, instead of finding a whole new supplier for just buying preservatives.
I'm not sure what to get and I was hoping some of you could share your experience with these or other preservatives. They don't have to be natural, but I'd like to get one that's paraben free to suit everyone in my family who mind that.

Wow! Thanks! I tried to google up preservatives and found hardly anything that helped. I'm bookmarking that link.
In the link it says: "if your product contains water or if water may be introduced into the product, then a preservative is needed." -Why are preservatives not needed for soap? Water is introduced to the soap obviously, :) so I'm not sure why I've always heard you don't need to add it to the soap.

It doesn't stay in the liquid form long enough to be at risk for the growth of bacteria...I assume, but I'm certainly no expert. :)

soap has a quite high pH - above 9 - and so won't easily support growth.
liquid soap is the same - I don't preserve that either, unless I'm diluting it excessively as for a self-foaming bottle.

You absolutely need preservatives for water based products like lotion.

But not for soap, as explained by other respondents to your post.

Grapefruit seed extract is useless as either antioxidant or preservative. But Rosemary oil extract added to your base oils is an effective antioxidant and can extend the shelf life of your oils and your soaps. (cuts down on rancidity/DOS)

Okay thanks everyone! I guess I'll just find some non-paraben preservatives that aren't so natural. Thats okay though, whatever keeps my bath stuff safe. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back