Best time to add EO's FO's (and how to make them stick!)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ministeph

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm just curious what your opinions are on when you add your FO's and EO's and why you do it that way..

I know the most common answer I've found (here and in books) is to add it right at trace, because it has a better chance of surviving.. but I know a lot of people prefer to add it to their oils before hand, or even add it to the lye water!

I'm experimenting with adding my Fo's/Eo's at different times.. to see if it effects how long and strong my scents seem to end up. Originally after a tricky seized batch, I started ONLY adding scent to my oils first, beating the %*^& out of it with the stick blender before even adding the lye. But now, I'm wondering.. months after cure with the scents fading.. if they would be stronger had I added them at trace....(or if adding them to the oils first, really helped prevent any seizing.. Has anyone had a batch seize or improve a known-seizing fragrance when adding the FO's to the oils first??)

Opinions? thoughts? experiences? thanks!!!

** just a note, I'm also trying different ways of storing other bars, in cardboard box, in a tupperware container with some small 'air holes', out in the open, andd even fully wrapped (although i heard that might not be a good idea, water retention causing DOS?) long live nice smelling soap!!!

**I've also realized some brands last longer than others as well, so I've been ruling that out.. some just STICK, some DON'T.. but i'm trying to salvage and keep what i can!

I almost always add my EO's or FO's to the melted oils as soon they cool down. I don't gel, so the scent has a good chance of not morphing or flashing off.

Well, as I learned today, the floral FOs can cause seizing. I had a decent trace before I added it. I think next time I'll back off the trace a little bit and work faster to get it in the mold. Since this is my first time to use FOs, I won't know how well they last for quite a while.

I've never had a seizing issue with EOs. However, I'm REALLY new to this. So far, my EO scents have lasted pretty well.

ohhh I've always gelled, I didn't think that it would be hotter than the initial reaction, but that is a good point .. thank you!!! I will try soaping extra cool for one of my experiments, and then throwing it in the deep freeze!

Latest posts

Back