~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Candle Making Forum > For the candle impaired, wax melts??

Old 11-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
lenarenee

Liked 2097 Times on 1048 Posts
Likes Given: 735

Default For the candle impaired, wax melts??

While I'd really love to make myself some Christmas candles, I just don't have the patience to do all the extended trial and error. (I make a batch or two, and give up)

So what about wax melts? Are they less picky = easier success?? I have 5 lbs of palm and 5 lbs of GW 444 sitting around that needs to be used up.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
jcandleattic

Liked 649 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Palm will take scent easier, and generally speaking you can put a higher scent load in wax melts than you do with candles, because there is no wick to contend with.
I've never made soy melts, and I believe 444 is a container wax, so may be too soft, but if you were to mix a bit of palm with it, that could help with the hardness of the melt. (but I just don't know as I don't work with soy, at all)

Where the "pickiness" so to speak comes into play, is the melter you use. Like Goldilocks, and her adventures, you will find some melters are too hot (burn off the scent much quicker than it should), some are too cool (doesn't give off enough scent unless you are right near it) and some are 'just right' and scent up entire areas for long lengths of time.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
lenarenee

Liked 2097 Times on 1048 Posts
Likes Given: 735

Thank you jc!

I have an electric and candle warmer; are they usually very different levels of heat? And are you saying that the temp at which I add the fo and pour is now far less important because those are factors are what affect wick performance? Melts can be almost as simple as melt, mix fo, mold? (Except for the temp of the warmers)

Yes, 444 is container wax. I thought I'd start with 25 - 30% added palm, yes? 8% fo?

Old 11-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
jcandleattic

Liked 649 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenarenee View Post
And are you saying that the temp at which I add the fo and pour is now far less important because those are factors are what affect wick performance?
No, not necessarily.

I know with soy when you pour can determine the look of the wax, the same with palm.
To get the crystallization effect of the palm you want to pour hot. However, to avoid the bumbs of soy I've heard (but have no experience with it) you want to pour cool.

If it were me, and I was mixing the soy with the palm, I would probably aim to add the FO at 180, and then pour at around 155. But as I don't have experience with soy, I'm not sure.

Maybe someone who uses that combo of wax can come along and be of a bit more help.