New to soap, where should I start?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tag

Reaction score
Hey all, I just thought about making soap. were should I start? I have a lot of experience working with caustics. So that should not be a problem.

Hi Tag,
Often, weekends have a lesser activity level on the forum, and since it is a holiday weekend as well, I'd expect replies may be slower to come, but come they will.

Recommendations on where to start are usually to read the stickies that are posted at the beginning of each forum section and then to read the first and/or last ten pages of posts for the sections you are interested in (lye based soap forum for example) and the beginner section.

Learn how to use the search feature, and spend a little time getting familiar with an online soap calculator - I use soapcalc.net, and many members here use soapee.com. Both are excellent tools.

Watch some youtube videos. Beginning soap making videos that are (IMO) good are soaping 101 and those by Soap Queen - she has a 4 part tutorial on beginning soap making.

After all that, when you have a question, start a new thread. It's the best way to get answers to your questions.

Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to learn.

I would start here...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR6ttCSrLJI&list=PLAADF6209996265D2[/ame]

This is part 1 of 4. Starts with safety and runs you through the basics of soap making. A recipe is included.

Welcome to the forum and to soaping! I would second the suggestion made by Kamahido to watch the Soap Queen videos so that you learn the safety aspect first. I can't remember if she mixes lye and water together in a glass bowl. If she does, don't do that ;) it's not safe because the glass can shatter. I think the general consensus here is to use tough plastic bowls to do that. I think that everything else she shows in her videos is pretty good. She sells a beginner kit on her site brambleberry.com too. I used that to learn the basics. And, I have learned a ton on here too.

Good luck and have fun!

Well thanks guys for the advise. I have seen at least tree hundred videos on youtube and have more than enough training in safety with caustics. I have all the tools and lye that I can safely store.

Well thanks guys for the advise. I have seen at least tree hundred videos on youtube and have more than enough training in safety with caustics. I have all the tools and lye that I can safely store.
Well, then! I think the next step would be learning about the soaping properties of oils (I think some of the posts pinned to the top of the beginners forum might talk about that) and learning how to use a calculator like Soapee.

Welcome :bunny:
Yes, she uses a glass pyrex measuring cup which is a no no. Also several of us do not agree with the long sleeves and long pants, since they are going to be very hard to remove if you have a lye spill. If I splash lye or raw soap I want to get the appendage under cold water as quick as possible. I prefer to send newbies to this site and her tutorials on You Tube http://www.soaping101.com/. At least she uses plastic. Another good site for recipes and information is http://www.millersoap.com/

You are going to need a good scale such as this one or similiar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEKX35Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. I never found the cheap food scales to always be accurate plus they never lasted long. Plastic paint buckets from a hardware store are good for mixing. Silicone spoons and spatulas are good to have around and a good stainless or silicone coated whisk. Silicone whisks are nice but eventually the silicone can wear off so keep an eye on it. There are not always stainless underneath. Rubbermaid pitchers, easily found at Thrift shops are handy for mixing lye. I like deli cups in various sizes for mixing colors and fragrances. Do not use plastic disposable or paper cups for fragrance. The plastic disposable cups will melt from fragrance and paper will leak and absorb fragrance. Deli cups do not melt or leak.

I also forgot to mention that 1/2 gallon coated milk cartons make nice molds for the beginner if you do not want to invest in molds to start. I always found them much easier than Pringle cans because you can peel the carton off the soap

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the addiction! Here's a link to a handy chart showing a lot of the common oils and fats used in soap, and what they bring to a soap: http://www.lovinsoap.com/oils-chart/ Folks here are also generally pretty happy to offer up suggestions on recipes and critiques on recipes you devise.

Also, many of us like to add rosemary oleoresin extract (ROE) to our oils, to help prevent or delay them going rancid. No one likes dreaded orange spots (DOS) on their soap! DeeAnna has a terrific article here on ROE and how to use it: https://classicbells.com/soap/ROE.html In fact, she's got lots of great information in her Soapy Stuff section.

ROE certainly helps slow oxidation, and I add it to each 5 gallon tote of oils when I first open them, but I have never really found it to be a great help adding it to soap batter. I prefer sodium citrate, edta and bht as my go to antioxidants. Rancid oils is not the only reason soap get dos.

You really do not really need to worry about such when beginning, make simple soap until you get some experience. Check out Miller Soaps recipes there are some good one's using easily acquired oils. Even the shortening one is not bad and cheap for practice.

I'm am floored at all the great replies. I wish I had come here before I made my very first batch of soap and posed the same question. All of you rock!

Hi Tag... Welcome. You're getting some of the best advice you could get. Be safe and have fun. You can get a lot of supplies at your local dollar store... such as mixing bowls, spatulas, wax paper, measuring cups, gloves, etc., almost everything you need. Then get a cheap gram scale and stick blender from Walmart...and get some lard and distilled water while you're there. Get some lye at your local Ace Hardware or equivalent. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get started... and by all means don't get overwhelmed and just make a simple soap. You will learn so much.

Latest posts

Back