Got this email today from AH/RE

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
How do you think it will affect you?

"Due to a disastrous warehouse fire at a critical manufacturer, our industry is experiencing a shortage of multiple critical ingredients used in the formulations of many fragrances.

Rustic Escentuals has already experienced a negative issue with a reformulated fragrance. Due to this experience we will NOT be having any of our scents reformulated and will stick with all original formulas.

This issue may cause some of our fragrance oils to be listed as "out of stock" when our current inventory is depleted. We do not want to risk customer dissatisfaction with fragrance oils that are not guaranteed to perform as usual.

Please understand that this situation is out of our control and is an industry wide dilemma. Hopefully this issue will be resolved by May 2018. Please be patient with us as we try to navigate through this uncharted territory.

We will be happy to speak to our customers about this issue and address any concerns they might have. Customer happiness and product quality are our most important goals in this situation.

Thank you for your understanding."

Many suppliers are having the same issue. Some are choosing to reformulate which unfortunately will require retesting to see how they work or don’t work. Fortunately, I’m pretty sure I have enough of what I need to weather it out. I’m sure many don’t though which is unfortunate.

Brambleberry says the specific component is “citral”.

They are choosing to reformulate. I need to place an order with RE soon and I hope the fragrances I typically purchase are not affected. I may have to wait to purchase.

BB sent out an email a few weeks ago about it. I haven't seen any acknowledgement from WSP (not surprised, they seem to have frequent reformulations without notice on a normal basis). Those are the only two I have bought fragrances from. Guess I need to make sure I have my standby fragrances stocked. My "scents to try" collection seems to be adequate for at least 9 months of 1-2 batches a week... I guess it paid to be an FO ho...

BB sent out an email a few weeks ago about it. I haven't seen any acknowledgement from WSP (not surprised, they seem to have frequent reformulations without notice on a normal basis). Those are the only two I have bought fragrances from. Guess I need to make sure I have my standby fragrances stocked. My "scents to try" collection seems to be adequate for at least 9 months of 1-2 batches a week... I guess it paid to be an FO ho...

Haha! This is sooo me! I got some gift cards for my birthday a few months back, and I loaded-up on FOs. Then, WSP gave me coupons for 50% 2 oz FOs, so I would be a fool not to use them! Then, more FOs with a BB gift card I got for Christmas...
I think I'm set for about 6 months...

My scents to try collection could probably leave be set for years......I have so many bottles waiting, not to mention the boxes of FO's I have packed up because I didn't like them or they didn't sell so need to destash them. Maybe Craigslist as a full lot.

IMO, companies should list reformulated FOs as new. Because if you go by the reviews that apply to the first formulation, then you aren't getting a good representation. So for example:

Energy
Energy 2014 (if that was the year it was reformulated)

Energy is actually one the scents being reformulated with the citral shortage. But, I agree...

RE just sent out a HUGE list of everything that IS affected and might be affected. It's pretty much every single scent. Looks like we'll be waiting.... and I'm hoping that someone uses their head and starts another manufacturing plant elsewhere. I had NO idea this one component was in everything! Wow~

It might be worth stocking up on any Vitamin A and E products too (citral is needed to produce these vitamins).

BASF isn't due to start producing citral and vitamins A & E again until about March.

I've been reading a little about this after having received that email from rustic escentuals, and started googling. The plant they're referring to is located in Germany (from what I've read), and the accident occurred in November 2017. There was a fatal accident back in 2016, killing 3. Sounds like they need to re-evaluate their GMP policies.

ETA: I was seriously thinking of opening my business mid June of this year, but not sure how this may impact that. I am in process of creating my GMP polices; it's the one thing that seems to keep me from moving forward. I'm starting small locally with a brochure (and word of mouth), but still I feel the GMPs must be solidly in place before I sell one product (along with insurance, of course).

This website may be interesting to some:
http://https://www.berjeinc.com/blogroll/a-perspective/

Sorry, link didn't work, but if you go to http://https://www.berjeinc.com, the main webpage, there is a vast value of information about fragrances.

Back