Lanolin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprilprichard

Reaction score
My new favorite place to buy supplies (newyorksoapmakingsupplies.com) has lanolin. I keep adding to cart and then talking myself out of it. I've read all of swiftycraftymonkey's posts about lanolin, so I do have a general idea of what it can be used for. What I'm wondering is what do you all make with lanolin in it?

Talk me into buying it once and for all! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making Forum App....love this app!

When you use it in lip balms, do you notice any unpleasant taste or smell? Or is it in such small amts that there is none? I haven't ever had any pure lanolin, but my brain has a strange association for it. My grandmother always used VO5 hair dressing. I hated the smell. I know it has lanolin in it, and I keep thinking it's the lanolin that is responsible for the scent I loathed! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making Forum App....love this app!

I use it in my lip balm, and as Susie said- it's an AWESOME lip balm ingredient.

As for smell or scent, if you use the pure, medical-grade HPA lanolin, there is absolutely no sheepiness at all. The good news is that you can usually find the medical-grade right on your local drug-store/grocery store counter down the baby aisle amongst all the breast-feeding products. It's made by Lansinoh. It contains nothing but pure 100% medical-grade HPA lanolin without any additives. That's the kind I use in my lip balms.

If you are in business and need to use a lot of it, though, the Lansinoh can be expensive, but if you're small-time like myself and only use enough for small batches of balm at a time, the Lansinoh works out just fine. I've yet to use it in soap, but am thinking of making a small batch of shave soap with it to see what kind of difference it might make to my formula.

Before I found the Lansinoh, I used to use the NOW brand of liquid lanolin, which also felt totally awesome in my balms, but I could never use more than about 5% of it in my formula because it would start bleating, i.e., the sheepiness would start to come through if I did. lol With the Lansinoh, though, bleating is not a problem. I use it at 10% in my lip balm, or what I like to call my 'lip baaahlm' with not a bleat to be heard. lol

IrishLass :)

Back