Unscented soap smells like ...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holistichonnies

Reaction score
Ewww quite frankly un scented soap just smells like fat

It smells like how I would imagine a liposuction operating room to smell like lol

Does this smell fade during cure? As I would like to eventually have a range of non scented soaps.

Iv failed so many times I'm becoming an expert

It depends on what fats you used as to what it smells like, but yes, it pretty much smells like fat...what else would you expect it to smell like when you added no scent?

It can be rebatched with EO/FO added after the cook, and before the molding.

They actually don't smell so bad this morning, iv just checked them. But last night I found the smell so gross lol

I didn't want to use fo's or eo's as I'm just learning and don't see the point in wasting my expensive eo's.

I made a double butter recipe that smells just like white chocolate! I would hate to cover that scent up with anything! Yummmyyyy I love white chocolate:wink:

could be the lingering smell from lye/oils/liquid conversion to soap.... I'm sure it will fade

I made a double butter recipe that smells just like white chocolate! I would hate to cover that scent up with anything! Yummmyyyy I love white chocolate:wink:

OMG! Yum Yum

will you share your recipe?? :wink:

The 1st lot of frosting I made I didnt add any colour to it and it turned out looking just like white chocolate, but stupid me accidentally deleted my recipe from my calculator now I cant remember what I used in it grrrrrr :thumbdown:

You need to create either a file in the computer to save your recipes to, and add notes as you go along, or a physical binder that you can print the recipes out and add notes as needed. This will save you many, many hours of trying to re-create that perfect batch of soap, or keep you from repeating errors.

I use a three ring binder. I have those pocket dividers with tabs to divide the categories: recipes to try,(then I batches I have already made) bar soap, liquid hand soap, shampoo bars, laundry soap, dish soap, lip balms, B & B(sugar scrubs, body butter, etc), EO blends, failures. Yes, I keep a file of failures with detailed reasons why it did not work. I do not like repeating errors, and I have a bad memory.

Susie I do the same, We can not remember everything even with photographic memory. I have a few of the binders; Soaps and cleaning, another Creams, lotions, body butter....deos, hair. One is cooking (Only special ones) and Medicine chest. It is so good to have it in binders, with such easy access. I photocopy the one, and stick under the shelf it is curing:) Computer folders is a must too:)

I love the smell of unscented soap. Has a bit of a "nutty" smell to me - but I don't use animal fat in most of my unscented soaps.

I hope I am not doing anything wrong here by posting a link. I want to give proper credit to the person who created the double butter recipe that I used. I used the Lard version. Turned out great. Now that I know more I might kick it up to 8%SF. I am definately going to do it again with a bigger batch. I will run it thru soap calculator. This recipe makes a very nice creamy lather. I love it! This reciep was the very first CP soap I made! I left it uncolored and unscented. It made a beautiful whiteish soap
http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/S...-Recipe-With-Cocoa-Butter-And-Shea-Butter.htm

KatsCreations - *blink* Oh, myyyyy. Double butter soap? Would you be so kind as to share a recipe... I think that might have to happen at my house. Soon. :D

I love the smell of unscented soap. Has a bit of a "nutty" smell to me - but I don't use animal fat in most of my unscented soaps.

I used olive oil, coconut and shea. It defo smells nicer now, yes, kinda nutty

Thanks for link

Yes a binder is defo on the cards. I have a recipe book for all my other products such as creams bath bombs, body oils etc ... God knows why iv not started writing my soap recipes out lol

Thanks for the link. Somehow the forum did something weird and I couldn't see your earlier post... but the soap sounds awesome. Thanks for mentioning it.

My first bar was 100% lard, lye, and H2O. Everything stunk. I waited, and waited. It's +-2 months later now, and the smell has (mostly) dissapated. I am considering removing my rule about never using lard again.

Other oils smell of fat, too; but not so much, and moslty before the cure. A tiny bit of EO will cover it.

Latest posts

Back